The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Play at the plate, opinions

Big Slick asked me to post a video of a play from his game and get opinons on his ruling.

playatplate - YouTube
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Right call. Runner's arms went up to hit F2.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Big Slick asked me to post a video of a play from his game and get opinons on his ruling.

playatplate - YouTube
Thanks, that is much easier than watching the original version which didn't allow for manipulation.

No doubt, this was the right call.

However, anybody check the chin strap on the runner's helmet? Don't think it was worn properly

Good job, B!
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Thanks, that is much easier than watching the original version which didn't allow for manipulation.

However, anybody check the chin strap on the runner's helmet? Don't think it was worn properly

Good job, B!
I didn't realize the catcher came up the line at all until I watched the video. Remember, I didn't eject, but the pause between my raised hands and the out signal was my time to think about it. I had to talk myself out of the ejection.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
I didn't realize the catcher came up the line at all until I watched the video. Remember, I didn't eject, but the pause between my raised hands and the out signal was my time to think about it. I had to talk myself out of the ejection.
Why, how did the runner's arms motion look in live action?
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Why, how did the runner's arms motion look in live action?
Not that bad, sort of elbows in and palms facing out (is that a good description, I'm not sure). Like I said, I was going through reason not to eject, that's the pause between the dead ball and out. In the moment of making a decision, I elected not to eject and just go with the out.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not picking on you - you were there and we weren't ... but from just this video, I'm not sure you did anyone any favors trying so hard to not eject. This looks rather textbook.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

Good job, B!
But what else do you notice in the video:

a) the batted ball almost hits the runner
b) the almost obstruction on F5 (someone mentioned that, but there doesn't seem to be any hindrance).
c) (pointed out by a forum member): the BR was put on the incorrect base. She should have been placed on first, last base touched.

Here is a lesson to watch all the action and be prepared.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I'm not picking on you - you were there and we weren't ... but from just this video, I'm not sure you did anyone any favors trying so hard to not eject. This looks rather textbook.
It actually didn't look that bad 10'-12' from the play, it looks worse on video (maybe because it was, as I'm picturing it now). I was a bit more focused on the length of time the catcher has the ball -- and there was the possibility of the old fashion wreak (that was brought up in post game).

I think this is a pretty good case study. It isn't many times where we get a decent angle of a play for discussion.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It actually didn't look that bad 10'-12' from the play, it looks worse on video (maybe because it was, as I'm picturing it now). I was a bit more focused on the length of time the catcher has the ball -- and there was the possibility of the old fashion wreak (that was brought up in post game).

I think this is a pretty good case study. It isn't many times where we get a decent angle of a play for discussion.
I assume 3B coach was claiming she had to way to get to the plate.

Maybe it's the angle, but it almost looks like she elected to hit the catcher and turned slightly to do so.

Coach didn't have any argument.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Since you mentioned it, what was the post game discussion? Did a UIC see this particular play? Just curious.....
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

RKB, thanks for posting the video for Slick.
Yes, as Slick said a great case study The play, quality of the video and the angle that at which it was shot make this an excellent video learn to from, and also to possibly utilize as a training resource.

Slick, nice job on the call and especially your decision to pause between your DB and Out signals to give yourself time to think about wether you needed to eject the runner......good umpiring.

Not that it would change the INF call, but any thoughts on possible OBS by F2?

Anything you can share about what the 3rd base coach said to you after you made the out call?
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

It appears that the runners arms went up to instictively protect herself and lessen the body impact. Look at the video to see that there is no significant force/impact on the catcher until the bodies collide. Runner did not impart any significant (or malicious) force onto the catcher with her arms. Arms did not extend to push, but recoiled to protect. GOOD CALL.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

If the runner would have slid, she would not have reached home because of the OBS. Since she elected to crash not slide does that negate the OBS ? I would have OBS'd and ejected.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNDALKCHOPPER View Post
...Since she elected to crash not slide does that negate the OBS ? ...
Yes. Interference takes priority over obstruction. Direct slide or crash were not her only options.