The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Another oddity from a 9-10 LL tourney game last night. Winning team substitutes their "ace" pitcher to hold off a comeback. As she warms up (slingshot, not windmill) I see something hinky that takes me a moment to figure out. She begins with both feet on the plate and hands together, swings her right arm back with the ball, then steps forward with her RIGHT foot as she swings the right arm forward and releases at the hip.

I approached my partner at PU, who was conferring with the defensive coach and alerted him to a wrongfooted pitcher. The coach laughed and said he had been working with her all year without success. She was their best pitcher while wrongfooted, but couldn't find the backstop if she used her right foot as a pivot foot. "Next year we'll fix it!" he said.

Partner and I both thought about it and didn't see anything illegal: she kept a pivot foot on the plate throughout the motion, did not plant and push off the stride foot before releasing the ball. Without pulling out the LL rulebook to review the pitching regs, we went with it. But it was still wierd to watch. Anybody think we missed anything here?

Oh, and she was very accurate.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2003, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

rules dont say anything about what foot is tobe the pivot foot. I also saw this the other night at a womens slow pitch game .sure does look odd