The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   ISF Mechanic (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/91888-isf-mechanic.html)

EsqUmp Thu Jun 28, 2012 06:26pm

ISF Mechanic

No runners on base. Easy single to left field. No umpires go out. 2BU buttonhooks inside the diamond.

Why are we buttonhooking? Do we prefer to run pointlessly? Do we like to put our back to the ball? Do we like to cut the potential path of the runner?

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jun 28, 2012 07:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 847721)

Or because it places the BU into the best position to react and get a preferable position for a call at any base with minimal effort.

It would only be pointless if the umpire didn't know what s/he was doing.

EsqUmp Thu Jun 28, 2012 07:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishmafia (Post 847725)
or because it places the bu into the best position to react and get a preferable position for a call at any base with minimal effort.

there are 4 umpires.

EsqUmp Thu Jun 28, 2012 07:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 847725)
Or because it places the BU into the best position to react and get a preferable position for a call at any base with minimal effort.

I apologize IrishMafia, as a softball umpire legend, I thought you knew that they use 4 umpires in the World Cup of Softball.

BretMan Fri Jun 29, 2012 04:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 847730)
I apologize IrishMafia, as a softball umpire legend, I thought you knew that they use 4 umpires in the World Cup of Softball.

Now you're just being a douche for the sake of being douchey.

(Nothing new there...)

Where in your post does it state that this play was occurring in a World Cup game?

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 29, 2012 06:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 847754)

(Nothing new there...)

Where in your post does it state that this play was occurring in a World Cup game?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 847754)

(Nothing new there...)

Or that is was a 4-umpire system. And that does make a difference.

Only one problem, ISF may not provide a mechanical scenario for the play you are describing.

If it is a fly ball to LF, U3 chases and U2 stays outside. There is no scenario provided for any other option, but it would make sense that U2 stay outside if to LF, come inside if LCF to RFL.

Do you know where the umpire is from and what direction they were given in the pre-tournament clinic?

outathm Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:28am

How many systems other than 4 umpire have a 2BU? I guess 6 umpire does too. Read the entire post.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 847787)
How many systems other than 4 umpire have a 2BU? I guess 6 umpire does too. Read the entire post.

Well, that would be U2 and no, I'm not assuming anything. AFAIK, he could have been referring to the umpire @ 2nd base which could be in anything other and a single umpire system.

But I really don't care, KR could have instructed them to do anything on that play especially since there is no published mechanic (at least, not at the ISF Umpire School)

Big Slick Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 847789)
But I really don't care, KR could have instructed them to do anything on that play especially since there is no published mechanic (at least, not at the ISF Umpire School)

Yes, Mike, there is a published mechanic. There PDF can be found here. I found this last June, I think on a site from New Zealand or Australia. As you can see on the cover, it was updated in 2010 by the director of ISF umpires.

Specifically, the play is described on page 6.

But as you said (and I've said if before), the use the mechanics that the UIC tells you to.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 29, 2012 05:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Slick (Post 847795)
Yes, Mike, there is a published mechanic. There PDF can be found here. I found this last June, I think on a site from New Zealand or Australia. As you can see on the cover, it was updated in 2010 by the director of ISF umpires.

Specifically, the play is described on page 6.

But as you said (and I've said if before), the use the mechanics that the UIC tells you to.

Brian,

I've got them. These are the mechanics on ISF Umpire School. Don't know how much they would appreciate someone else making them available elsewhere.

However, you might notice there is no scenario, including on page 6, for a ball to the left field and no umpire going out. That was the play noted in the OP and to which I am referring.

EsqUmp Sun Jul 01, 2012 07:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 847757)
Or that is was a 4-umpire system. And that does make a difference.

Only one problem, ISF may not provide a mechanical scenario for the play you are describing.

If it is a fly ball to LF, U3 chases and U2 stays outside. There is no scenario provided for any other option, but it would make sense that U2 stay outside if to LF, come inside if LCF to RFL.

Do you know where the umpire is from and what direction they were given in the pre-tournament clinic?

Who said anything about a fly ball? Pay attention.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jul 01, 2012 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 847920)
Who said anything about a fly ball? Pay attention.

Not me. There is no mechanic for any ball going to LF with no one chasing.

The only time I mentioned a fly ball is when I citing the one mechanic where a ball to LF is mentioned, but in that case an umpire goes out which does NOT meet the specs of the OP.

Maybe you should try paying attention.

bsnalex Thu Jul 05, 2012 03:58am

Isn't this a bit moot, as World Cup is organised and officiated by ASA rather than ISF?

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jul 05, 2012 07:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsnalex (Post 848176)
Isn't this a bit moot, as World Cup is organised and officiated by ASA rather than ISF?

The WCOS is played under ISF rules and mechanics. Of the 8 umpires, 3 were from the US.

And ASA does not utilize a 4-umpire system.

tcannizzo Thu Jul 05, 2012 01:18pm

One thing I noticed in several different games with different PU, was the liberal granting of TIME to B.

Is ISF different than ASA in this regard?
A couple of years ago, we were instructed that P gets 20 seconds and we are to give her every bit of that, unless B is in some sort of distress.