The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 24, 2012, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Running into catcher/UC ejection

I've been looking at old threads to get a feel as how to most officials will determine the need for an ejection. There was good discussions in 2006 & 2007 ... have things changed to more fully protect the catcher since then. Can I get some input?

The situation that makes me ask occurred as follows (under Fed rules):

Team One (U14) has bases loaded and ball is hit softly to right side of pitcher. Bad throw home so the catcher has to adjust for a tag rather than the force. The Runners right foot is on the ground before the tag, runners left foot clears the bat that is on the ground in the base line, tag is applied, runners left foot hits the plate, catcher is leaning (off balance), runner does not slow at any time (except the slight adjustment to avoid the bat and step on the left side of the plate) and catcher is hit fairly hard (runners stomach and right arm against catchers shoulder and head) and catcher is spun around 180 degrees; neither runner nor catcher hit the ground.

The immediate call is out and ejection. The reasoning is that she did not try to avoid contact. Both coaches thought she should stay in the game. Neither coach has knowledge of the rule as explicitly written. Plate ump is not convinced but agrees to let her stay in the game to pacify the coaches. (base umpire was a no show ... as is somewhat typical for this league).
Old Sun Jun 24, 2012, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

From your description of the play I dont see any action that would warrant an ejection. The rule about avoiding contact is when a defensive player is standing waiting with ball to make the tag. In your description is sounds more like the ball arrived just prior to the runner, the throw pulled the catcher into having to attempt a tag rather than just touch the plate and the result was nothing more than normal playing action.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2012, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Had one almost exactly like that this weekend.

R1 on 2B.
B hits single to RF.
R1 rounds 3B and coming in.
F2 positioned on front edge of HP, but throw takes her off plate and one or two steps up the 3B line.
As F2 catches the throw, and "pivoting" to make the tag, R1 left foot is already on the ground, and before the right foot comes down, she twists slightly to the right to avoid the tag. Technically she was leading with her left shoulder, but it I saw it as a flinch reaction to avoid taking a hard tag in the chest. There was significant contact, and F2 held onto the ball. R1 is out, but nothing else, just a train wreck.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2012, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Hard contact is not malicious contact. Malicious requires malice. Neither the OP or Tony's situation sound like MC. As the umpire - you have to decide --- is the player trying to score, or is he/she trying to hit the catcher (whether to dislodge the ball, or simply because he thinks he's Pete Rose). There is no requirement in any ruleset that the runner must avoid contact here... although some rulesets require that IF they slide, the slide must be legal. In any case - as described, the OP is nothing.

West Houston Mike