The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Talking Tired old look back rule, yes, again!

IrishMafia told me that I should concentrate on one sport and get good at it before doing two. However, our softball divisions are short umpires and I did a double-header last night. I think I got the call right, but my partner, who is much more experienced at softball, was not so sure. Let me try to help you visualize the scenario:

LL 11-12 Softball, Tournament rules. R1 on 3rd, R2 on 2nd. BR puts ball in play. Series of throws scores both runners, BR heads for 2nd. Ball is now thrown to the pitcher, who is holding the ball firmly and securely in the circle. BR STOPS at second; again, ball was in the circle prior to runner reaching second, and BR has completely and without question stopped. BR now takes four or five steps off 2nd, towards third. F1 fakes throw and BR returns to 2nd.

My call, which I did make in the game: BR out on look back rule the minute she stepped off the base. It is my understanding that the runner is glued to the base once she STOPS while the pitcher has the ball in the circle.

My partner said that because the pitcher faked the throw (made a play) while she was off the base, she was not out. We both agreed on the sequence of events. We both agreed that the pitcher made the play AFTER she stepped off the base. We both agreed that the BR had stopped on 2nd. It was my call, my partner did not overrule me on the field (as it should be) and no argument from the manager (so what...no meaning there... :-) ).

To sum up: Is the runner subject to the look back rule once she stops on the base when the ball is in the circle? I say yes. What do you say?

[Edited by Striker991 on Jul 1st, 2003 at 09:39 AM]
Old Tue Jul 01, 2003, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

The look back call is a dead ball, so whatever the pitcher did after the runner stepped off is of no consequence. Your call was correct.

The pitcher cannot retroactively release a runner. If the runner steps off before the pitcher makes a play - BANG - DEAD BALL, she's OUT. Pitcher can't make a play during a dead ball.