The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Asa 14 u (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/91877-asa-14-u.html)

Chess Ref Wed Jun 27, 2012 07:11pm

Asa 14 u

I saw this play, then talked to the PU for an explanantion.

R1 on 3B, 1 out. Long fly ball to F7, runner on 3B takes off on the clang of the bat. The catch was made, runner had already, apparently crossed homeplate and was on her way to dugout. Everybody starts screaming and the player (runner) hightails it back to 3B, without retouching home plate. She gets there in time. The defensive coach comes out and talks to the PU. Nothing changes. Runner remains on 3B.
After the game I ask PU what did the coach want-coach wanted runner called out for not retouching plate. PU then tells me he never saw if the player touched home the first time, because he was watching the catch-so he felt like he couldn't call her out because it's possible she missed home plate and consequently would not have had to retouch it.
I don't know if this merits discussion, but....

IRISHMAFIA Wed Jun 27, 2012 07:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 847566)
I saw this play, then talked to the PU for an explanantion.

R1 on 3B, 1 out. Long fly ball to F7, runner on 3B takes off on the clang of the bat. The catch was made, runner had already, apparently crossed homeplate and was on her way to dugout. Everybody starts screaming and the player (runner) hightails it back to 3B, without retouching home plate. She gets there in time. The defensive coach comes out and talks to the PU. Nothing changes. Runner remains on 3B.
After the game I ask PU what did the coach want-coach wanted runner called out for not retouching plate. PU then tells me he never saw if the player touched home the first time, because he was watching the catch-so he felt like he couldn't call her out because it's possible she missed home plate and consequently would not have had to retouch it.

Two things here. To start, the manager is not authorized to make that appeal.

Secondly, while being honest that he did not see the original touch, he is wrong in his reasoning. In ASA ball, the runner is considered to have touched any base they pass. So, whether he saw her touch it or not coming in, if he knew she did not touch it on the way back, he should have made the out call.

Tru_in_Blu Thu Jun 28, 2012 07:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 847569)
Two things here. To start, the manager is not authorized to make that appeal.

Secondly, while being honest that he did not see the original touch, he is wrong in his reasoning. In ASA ball, the runner is considered to have touched any base they pass. So, whether he saw her touch it or not coming in, if he knew she did not touch it on the way back, he should have made the out call.

After the proper dead-ball appeal from an infielder?

EsqUmp Thu Jun 28, 2012 04:52pm

All codes should change the rule and allow the head coach to make a dead ball appeal. It is ridiculous to make a 10 year old try to articulate "we are appealing that the runner who started on 3rd base did not maintain contact with the base until the ball was first touched by a defender." Nonsense.

CecilOne Fri Jun 29, 2012 07:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 847708)
All codes should change the rule and allow the head coach to make a dead ball appeal. It is ridiculous to make a 10 year old try to articulate "we are appealing that the runner who started on 3rd base did not maintain contact with the base until the ball was first touched by a defender." Nonsense.

Except for 9 year old lawyers. ;) :p :) :)

Andy Fri Jun 29, 2012 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 847708)

But, "She left early" is not too hard......

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 847770)
But, "She left early" is not too hard......

The reason 10U rules are the same as every other level is because the JO coaches insisted that level was as competitive as the rest and this age group could play at the big girl level.

So, if there is a complaint from the coach, it was his peers who wanted the change.

DBrady Fri Jun 29, 2012 05:30pm

Add to the situation ...?

... after crossing home, and from the her location near the dugout (1st base side) the runner crosses the infield (not crossing back over home plate) to return to third; throw to third is misssed and the pitcher moving to pick up the errant throw is in line with the path of the runner between dugoutout and third (no contact/runner goes around/ ball is still 10 feet away); catcher picks up ball throws to third for a base tag prior to the runner returning to third.

Offensive coach starts to yell interference (obstruction) ... interference (obstruction).... Plate ump agrees and puts runner back on 3rd.

Defensive coach points out that she didn't retouch home plate before running across the infield so, 1) There should be no obstruction & 2) she should be out for returning to third w/o retouching home.

Umpire aknowledges that she did not retouch home but does not change anything.

Was anyone correct?

HugoTafurst Fri Jun 29, 2012 07:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBrady (Post 847812)
Add to the situation ...?

... after crossing home, and from the her location near the dugout (1st base side) the runner crosses the infield (not crossing back over home plate) to return to third; throw to third is misssed and the pitcher moving to pick up the errant throw is in line with the path of the runner between dugoutout and third (no contact/runner goes around/ ball is still 10 feet away); catcher picks up ball throws to third for a base tag prior to the runner returning to third.

Offensive coach starts to yell interference (obstruction) ... interference (obstruction).... Plate ump agrees and puts runner back on 3rd.

Defensive coach points out that she didn't retouch home plate before running across the infield so, 1) There should be no obstruction & 2) she should be out for returning to third w/o retouching home.

Umpire aknowledges that she did not retouch home but does not change anything.

Was anyone correct?

Wish I was drinking what he was drinking.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Jun 30, 2012 01:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 847818)
Wish I was drinking what he was drinking.

I think I am drinking what he is drinking. I think that DBrady is really John Madden.

MTD, Sr.

x-tremeump Sun Jul 01, 2012 09:26pm

xtreamump

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 847566)
I saw this play, then talked to the PU for an explanation.

R1 on 3B, 1 out. Long fly ball to F7, runner on 3B takes off on the clang of the bat. The catch was made, runner had already, apparently crossed home plate and was on her way to dugout. Everybody starts screaming and the player (runner) hightails it back to 3B, without retouching home plate. She gets there in time. The defensive coach comes out and talks to the PU. Nothing changes. Runner remains on 3B.

I see a live ball appeal to 3b-safe, then the DC asking for time and asking a rule interpretation. KISS.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreamump (Post 847935)
I see a live ball appeal to 3b-safe, then the DC asking for time and asking a rule interpretation. KISS.

Where was there an appeal at 3B, live or dead?

EsqUmp Tue Jul 03, 2012 09:16am

The reality is that if an umpire "improperly" takes a dead ball appeal from a coach, nothing will actually happen. The other team may protest, followed by the defense immediately having the coach tell the player exactly what to say. So even if the protest is upheld, they will just re-do the appeal correctly. It's stupid. Just let the head coach make the appeal.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 848048)
The reality is that if an umpire "improperly" takes a dead ball appeal from a coach, nothing will actually happen. The other team may protest, followed by the defense immediately having the coach tell the player exactly what to say. So even if the protest is upheld, they will just re-do the appeal correctly. It's stupid. Just let the head coach make the appeal.

So, I'll ask again, where was there an appeal at 3rd, live or dead?

IRISHMAFIA Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 847610)
After the proper dead-ball appeal from an infielder?

Of course, you are correct.