The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
How do you figure? If the catch is made then the lone runner is the last runner and the last runner belongs to BU.
From pages 258-259 of the 2012 ASA Umpires Manual:

Runner on Second Base Only - Fast Pitch

Fly Ball to the Outfield:

P - ... Responsible for ... any play on the lead runner at 3B ... . [Italics added.]

B - ... Responsible for the tag up at 2B, any play at 1B or 2B and the last runner to 3B.

In this scenario, the "last runner" is (I assume) the batter-runner after a dropped fly ball.

I do not know where Irish is getting the information offered in his post following yours.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake26 View Post

P - ... Responsible for ... any play on the lead runner at 3B ... . [Italics added.]

B - ... Responsible for the tag up at 2B, any play at 1B or 2B and the last runner to 3B.

In this scenario, the "last runner" is (I assume) the batter-runner after a dropped fly ball.

I do not know where Irish is getting the information offered in his post following yours.
[Edit] The mechanics section has been re-written: See Here.

Last edited by Crabby_Bob; Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 06:47pm.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

There have been some issues with ASA getting the manual consistent with the DVD. The interpretation has been that in order for there to be a "lead runner" there must also be a "trail runner." When there is only one runner, there is, by definition, neither a "trail" nor a "lead."

REGARDLESS of who (plate or base) takes the call at 3rd, what is the advantage to the base umpire coming inside the diamond on a routine pop up to right of center field? It actually cuts down the angle/peripheral to see both the runner and the catch. If the base umpire does take R2 to 3rd base, it also puts him in a position where he has to look over his shoulder to see the ball (either thrown directly to 3rd base by the outfielder or by the cutoff) and puts him in the line of fire for the actual play at 3rd. Should R2 get in a rundown, you'll then also have two umpires on the inside of the rundown, rather than boxing R2.

Some may illogically argue "but what if the ball falls and there is a play on BR at 1st base?" You ought to be able to judge the level of play. If the ball does fall, the play isn't going to 1st base anyway. The play is going to 3rd base. If for some godforsaken reason it does go to 1st, who cares? R2 is going to 3rd, so let her pass and then cut in the infield if necessary.

The best thing to do is open up, turn toward the outfield and watch the play and runner. NOT sprint into the infield in order to do the same exact thing and have a worse peripheral and a worse position for a call at 3rd (assuming the base ump takes R2 to 3rd).
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Just wondering, at the risk of offending someone with an apparent personal agenda ....

Has anyone ever seen a routine can of corn drop? Sun, wind, nonchalant outfielder, any reason at all?

If so, on the stated play, who notes if BR touched first, is obstructed rounding that bag, possibly advancing to 2nd, or perhaps subject to a throwback to first? I suppose that all could be done in catch-up mode while standing and watching from the outside behind F6. But my preference (and assumably of those that write umpire manuals) is for the BU to be proactive, come inside where he can adequately see the tag at 2nd, and easily pick up the only next play that might happen.

The best clinician ever (EA) noted her philosophies in the early NCAA manuals, as well as her longstanding website. She notes that umpiring is a series of compromises, and that the two umpire system requires more compromises. She also puts a premium on deciding the best position for any play by considering what possible NEXT play may be necessary, not just the current play.

The basic mechanics stated cover every possible situation on this play, as effectively as possible. BU gets the tag, play back to 2nd, and responsible for BR/trail if the ball drops. PU has lead/lone runner into 3rd, then to home if necessary.

Go ahead and hate on the mechanics; when you are still standing behind F6, your NCAA evaluator will be writing it up, too.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Just wondering, at the risk of offending someone with an apparent personal agenda ....

Has anyone ever seen a routine can of corn drop? Sun, wind, nonchalant outfielder, any reason at all?

If so, on the stated play, who notes if BR touched first, is obstructed rounding that bag, possibly advancing to 2nd, or perhaps subject to a throwback to first? I suppose that all could be done in catch-up mode while standing and watching from the outside behind F6. But my preference (and assumably of those that write umpire manuals) is for the BU to be proactive, come inside where he can adequately see the tag at 2nd, and easily pick up the only next play that might happen.

The best clinician ever (EA) noted her philosophies in the early NCAA manuals, as well as her longstanding website. She notes that umpiring is a series of compromises, and that the two umpire system requires more compromises. She also puts a premium on deciding the best position for any play by considering what possible NEXT play may be necessary, not just the current play.

The basic mechanics stated cover every possible situation on this play, as effectively as possible. BU gets the tag, play back to 2nd, and responsible for BR/trail if the ball drops. PU has lead/lone runner into 3rd, then to home if necessary.

Go ahead and hate on the mechanics; when you are still standing behind F6, your NCAA evaluator will be writing it up, too.
Would love to be a fly on the wall for the conversations between this umpire and the evaluators.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If the ball is dropped then the call at 3rd belongs to the PU. That wasn't the OP.

(Edit to add: ) BTW, the lone runner tag up from second was on the ASA test this year.

Last edited by youngump; Wed Jun 13, 2012 at 09:16pm.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
From the April ASA Rules Clarifications
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 05:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Thanks. I think it is a bad mechanic, but thanks.

Last edited by Jake26; Thu Jun 14, 2012 at 06:00am.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks. I think it is a bad mechanic, but thanks.
It is not a new mechanic, been that was for over 20 years of which I am aware. It is not that difficult and keeps an umpire a base ahead of the runner.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
There have been some issues with ASA getting the manual consistent with the DVD. The interpretation has been that in order for there to be a "lead runner" there must also be a "trail runner." When there is only one runner, there is, by definition, neither a "trail" nor a "lead."

REGARDLESS of who (plate or base) takes the call at 3rd, what is the advantage to the base umpire coming inside the diamond on a routine pop up to right of center field? It actually cuts down the angle/peripheral to see both the runner and the catch. If the base umpire does take R2 to 3rd base, it also puts him in a position where he has to look over his shoulder to see the ball (either thrown directly to 3rd base by the outfielder or by the cutoff) and puts him in the line of fire for the actual play at 3rd. Should R2 get in a rundown, you'll then also have two umpires on the inside of the rundown, rather than boxing R2.

Some may illogically argue "but what if the ball falls and there is a play on BR at 1st base?" You ought to be able to judge the level of play. If the ball does fall, the play isn't going to 1st base anyway. The play is going to 3rd base. If for some godforsaken reason it does go to 1st, who cares? R2 is going to 3rd, so let her pass and then cut in the infield if necessary.

The best thing to do is open up, turn toward the outfield and watch the play and runner. NOT sprint into the infield in order to do the same exact thing and have a worse peripheral and a worse position for a call at 3rd (assuming the base ump takes R2 to 3rd).

Geez!!!...doesnt this make the most sense of anything posted on this thread?..instead of dismissing it and routinely trying to disparage this mechanic you should open your eyes and ears. i think if you keep your mind open, you will find that not only is this set of mechanics that Esq guy is presenting to you is not only better for umpires in general but that ,in fact, it just makes better sense
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Honestly, unless the fly ball is right on the first base foul line, your peripheral vision should EASILY be able to pick up the catch (or first touch) and the runner at 2nd. Also, if the ball is to RCF, getting out of the way of the throw to third is a matter of one or two steps - something we've all done many many times. The only valid point you really made here was the rundown possibility, but I find that possibility to be far less likely than the ball dropping and your proximity to first base mattering.

That said, neither spot is a disaster, and both require awareness and reacting to the play - something that should be easy for anyone with more than a year or two of experience. Given that neither spot is a problem, and one spot is superior more frequently than the other - and the manual tells us to go to that one spot ... I see no reason not to go to that spot.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

"and the manual tells us to go to that one spot"

perhaps the manual youre reading isnt the best for umpires?
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire12 View Post

I disagree. So do the evaluators and the local organization I'm working for. So does the ASA.

The spot we are supposed to go to might be slightly inferior than what is being suggested here in a few cases - but it's superior in a few cases as well and those cases are more likely than the former cases.

So ... the position is better (slightly) AND the organization we (including you and esq) work for wants us at that position. Why go elsewhere?

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

not saying that we dont use that position when we work for that organization. in fact we do..what im saying is when i work for other organizations, which i do, i find their mechanics superior. in my opinion ASA mechanics are outdated and im sure in due time they will trend and finally submit to the more modern, efficient mechanics.

Last edited by umpire12; Thu Jun 14, 2012 at 11:08am.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire12 View Post

The manual does not say go to spot and stand. The manual gives you direction to a general area that is preferred taking all possibilities into consideration. Are there times when I don't feel comfortable where I am in relation to a play? Sure. Do you know what I do then? Move.