The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lildani14 Send a message via MSN to lildani14
alright, had this last thrusday with a fairly experienced partner.

one out, B1 hits grounder to F6, throw is wide F3 comes off bag but still muffs it and kicks it toward dugout in process of going after the ball she tags/more less pushes BR and BR goes flying, BR still reaches first, but should she have been rewarded 2nd?

Neither of us called it, but I was for sure going to give her first if they would have been able to make a play. So do we have obstruction?
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Obstruction

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lildani14
[B]alright, had this last thrusday with a fairly experienced partner.

one out, B1 hits grounder to F6, throw is wide F3 comes off bag but still muffs it and kicks it toward dugout in process of going after the ball she tags/more less pushes BR and BR goes flying, BR still reaches first, but should she have been rewarded 2nd?

Neither of us called it, but I was for sure going to give her first if they would have been able to make a play. So do we have obstruction?
################################################## ##########
Why would F3 tag B1 after kicking the ball towards the dugout?

I would have obstruction on F3 and signal a delayed dead ball. In my judgement if F3's contact with B1 prevented her from going to second base on the passed ball, at the conclusion of the play I would call time and award B1 second base. A key word you used was "pushed". If I thought the push by F3 was flagrant I would also eject F3 for unsportsman like conduct. At a minimum you have obstruction with B1 protected at 1st base.

Michael
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

I disagree, Michael.

This is one of those HTBT plays, but more than likely all you have is a train wreck. I had this type of play a few years ago and discussed it with our then UIC, who is very well known and respected in ASA across the country.

Her response was that both players are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing. F3 is trying to recover the ball, BR is trying to get to first base.

Short of any intentional actions by either player, there is really nothing for you to call, play on....
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
I disagree, Michael.

This is one of those HTBT plays, but more than likely all you have is a train wreck. I had this type of play a few years ago and discussed it with our then UIC, who is very well known and respected in ASA across the country.

Her response was that both players are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing. F3 is trying to recover the ball, BR is trying to get to first base.

Short of any intentional actions by either player, there is really nothing for you to call, play on....
Many things to consider.

Andy is right as if both are doing what they are supposed to do, a "train wreck" is probably the best description you can have. However, when something like this occurs and the BR is knocked to the ground through no fault of their own and is placed in jeopardy, I will probably protect the runner to 1B. After all, the runner is pretty much restricted as to where they may be to avoid an interference call, while the defender may leave the base and still possibly get an out or at least keep the ball from leaving the field of play.

Another point to consider is whether F3 KNEW the ball wasn't in the glove. If so, you may have a fake tag which is a form of obstruction, but that would not guarantee protection any further than 1B. Much may depend on how far the ball got away from the closest defender and if I, as the umpire, felt the runner may have made it to 2B had the "tag" not occurred.

Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I thought it was established in another thread that a fielder going after a loose ball is not making a play in the sense of receiving a thrown ball, making a tag, etc. and so may not impede the runner even if they are "doing what they are supposed to do".
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

A common rule-of-thumb / guideline is to give the fielder "a step and a reach." Beyond that, obstruction.
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
I thought it was established in another thread that a fielder going after a loose ball is not making a play in the sense of receiving a thrown ball, making a tag, etc. and so may not impede the runner even if they are "doing what they are supposed to do".
Read "Collision" on pages 282 & 283 of the 2003 ASA rule book.

It's a fine line to walk and this gives some pointers. But, as I've said before, I'm not going to allow a runner be placed in jeopardy by a collision simply because it was imminent and lacked of fault.