The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Ok, I had this happen twice in the last two nights. Two different BU's. Same type of situation so I'll describe only one of them. R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st ball hit to short stop, she takes off for 3rd close behind is the runner, now 3rd base sees SS with ball and moves back to try to get to base now R1 runs into her 2 steps from bag and then SS touches 3rd base. My BU calls an out. I saw what I though looked like obstruction, and 3rd base coach looked at me and pointed saying "was that..."(I cut him off by saying "Time") so I met my BU alone and asked what she saw. She stated that the 3rd basewoman was in R1's way and R1 couldn't get to the base, "I don't think she did it on purpose but she did get in her way." I said well that's obstruction isn't it? She agreed, I said and the runner can't get out inbetween the bases she was obstructed right? "Yes" So what do you think, should we award her third based on obstruction? "Yes", Ok after we step back tell them all "We had obstruction on the 3rd basewoman runner is awarded 3rd." And she did, no arguement or comment from anyone.

Now a long story for a short question. Do you all think I handled this correctly? I wanted to make sure the call was made as I and everybody else saw it, admittently even her. Maybe I am overthinking it but, I am a little worried I might have stepped on their toes a little, again I tried to work them through it so they came up with the right answer and both of them did, I also talked to both of them at the next 1/2 inning on how to correctly signal and call obstruction when it happened. So I am asking if there is anything else that could have been done, other than BU calling obstruction when it happened. Again another joy of working and trying to develop young umpires!!
Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveASA/FED
Ok, I had this happen twice in the last two nights. Two different BU's. Same type of situation so I'll describe only one of them. R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st ball hit to short stop, she takes off for 3rd close behind is the runner, now 3rd base sees SS with ball and moves back to try to get to base now R1 runs into her 2 steps from bag and then SS touches 3rd base. My BU calls an out. I saw what I though looked like obstruction, and 3rd base coach looked at me and pointed saying "was that..."(I cut him off by saying "Time") so I met my BU alone and asked what she saw. She stated that the 3rd basewoman was in R1's way and R1 couldn't get to the base, "I don't think she did it on purpose but she did get in her way." I said well that's obstruction isn't it? She agreed, I said and the runner can't get out inbetween the bases she was obstructed right? "Yes" So what do you think, should we award her third based on obstruction? "Yes", Ok after we step back tell them all "We had obstruction on the 3rd basewoman runner is awarded 3rd." And she did, no arguement or comment from anyone.

Now a long story for a short question. Do you all think I handled this correctly? I wanted to make sure the call was made as I and everybody else saw it, admittently even her. Maybe I am overthinking it but, I am a little worried I might have stepped on their toes a little, again I tried to work them through it so they came up with the right answer and both of them did, I also talked to both of them at the next 1/2 inning on how to correctly signal and call obstruction when it happened. So I am asking if there is anything else that could have been done, other than BU calling obstruction when it happened. Again another joy of working and trying to develop young umpires!!
If you saw it, why didn't you just call it? Any umpire can rule on any obstruction they observe whether they have responsibility for the base to which the runner is progressing or not.

One of the prettier sights is to see multiple umpires stick out that left arm simultaneously.

Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Good point Mike, I should have. I was hoping she would call it!! Again trying to develop the young ones I don't want to step on toes too much, and since it is a dead ball situation when obstruction occurrs (unlike interference, which I had, and called, in the same game ball off R1's foot in front of fielder) I was hoping she was holding out arm adn I couldn't see it. Point well taken, if I would have signalled that could have been enough to help her convince her to signal also. Thanks, that would have been a better way to handle it.
Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Mike in that you also have the opportunity to call the obstruction.

In my opinion, however, I think you handled the situation very nicely. You took the opportunity during the game, while the play was still fresh, to do some "coaching" of your young partners.

Obstruction, although we talk about it alot, is not something that happens every game, and really needs to be seen to be completely understood. Young umpires are often so concerned about where is the ball going, where should I be, what just happened, etc., to pick up some of the more subtle stuff like this obstruction.

I like the way that you approached it with her, talking through the play and letting her make the decision. This was a great opportunity for a teaching moment because you could "reverse" the out call properly, still teach a situation, and not affect the game.

I say...Good Job!
Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Post secondary education

Great time to teach.
Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Great Teaching Opportunity and well done. The only thing I would like to add is ......... Yes any umpire can call obstruction, but if it is in your partners area, give them a chance to call it first.

Rememeber we want to get it right if at all possible.
Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveASA/FED
Good point Mike, I should have. I was hoping she would call it!! Again trying to develop the young ones I don't want to step on toes too much, and since it is a dead ball situation when obstruction occurrs (unlike interference, which I had, and called, in the same game ball off R1's foot in front of fielder) I was hoping she was holding out arm adn I couldn't see it. Point well taken, if I would have signalled that could have been enough to help her convince her to signal also. Thanks, that would have been a better way to handle it.
Ditto Andy. You did handle it quite well based on the manner in which it occurred.

Old Sat Jun 28, 2003, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

certainly, this is a difficult call for beginners and veterans alike

just look at the number of posts describing plays involving hits to SS with a runner going from 2B to 3B

i think the 'training' and the timing of that training was very appropriate, and the resulting call as well

even though it's my 1st year umping, i've reminded a couple of younger umpires of the rules mid-game and they changed their calls because of it ... these were games where i was a spectator but the umpires knew me ... again, through good timing and evaluation of the tempers of the people around, no one complained because, in the end, the call was right

(interestingly enough, i'm at least twice as old as most of our umpires, so they all think i'm a never-wrong veteran !!)
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by bobbrix
... snip ... i've reminded a couple of younger umpires of the rules mid-game and they changed their calls because of it ... these were games where i was a spectator but the umpires knew me ... snip ...
It's almost never a good idea to put yourself into a game you are not working, even if asked.

Quote:
... snip ... through good timing and evaluation of the tempers of the people around, no one complained because, in the end, the call was right
Yes, timing is important, the sooner the better, but in an appropriate manner.

Quote:
... snip ... (interestingly enough, i'm at least twice as old as most of our umpires, so they all think i'm a never-wrong veteran !!)
Me too (back then), until I went on the field.