The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Interference Question

It is not interference if a runner intentionally hits a deflected batted ball with their elbow while running the bases.

Is this question T or F? Also, where exactly in the rule book does this talk about this situation. I know Rule 8, but which section?
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsc_wa View Post
It is not interference if a runner intentionally hits a deflected batted ball with their elbow while running the bases.

Is this question T or F? Also, where exactly in the rule book does this talk about this situation. I know Rule 8, but which section?
The section on interference.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Re: Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
The section on interference.
You're a real comedian!
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

i think mbcrowder was too busy trying to be clever that he didnt realize that rule 8 doesnt have an 'interference' section. it does however have a 'runner is out' section..try that...rule 8-7......also check out RS#33 for more info
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire12 View Post
i think mbcrowder was too busy trying to be clever that he didnt realize that rule 8 doesnt have an 'interference' section. it does however have a 'runner is out' section..try that...rule 8-7......also check out RS#33 for more info
Thanks umpire12! I had found RS#33 after the wise guy made his comment and answered the question. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though!
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

umpires are wise guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsc_wa View Post
Thanks umpire12! I had found RS#33 after the wise guy made his comment and answered the question. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction though!
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't want to give the whole thing away. Telling him that his answer was in the "the runner is out" section answers the question.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 11:37pm
In Time Out

Quote:
I didn't want to give the whole thing away. Telling him that his answer was in the "the runner is out" section answers the question.
I talked to Brad about this today, and I brought up the point that when veterans debase newbies, they leave, and never come back, thus costing him potential members to the paid site. Be an asset, not a debit.
Old Wed May 09, 2012, 11:39pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by cteben View Post
umpires are wise guys.
I'm not in the Mafia.
Old Thu May 10, 2012, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i do understand your position but i think just pointing him in the right direction without evaluating his work ethic is more productive to new umpires than subtle hints. the rule book can be very daunting to even veteran umpires.lets show him what he needs to know then wean him out of this stage once he gets a grip on the layout of the book.
Old Thu May 10, 2012, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
I talked to Brad about this today, and I brought up the point that when veterans debase newbies, they leave, and never come back, thus costing him potential members to the paid site. Be an asset, not a debit.
So...not just spoon-feeding a guy the answers and maybe forcing him to actually look in his rule book and figure something out, which will ultimately do more for his development as an umpire = debasing?
Old Thu May 10, 2012, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i do understand your position but i think just pointing him in the right direction without evaluating his work ethic is more productive to new umpires than subtle hints. the rule book can be very daunting to even veteran umpires.lets show him what he needs to know then wean him out of this stage once he gets a grip on the layout of the book.
I agree, but disagree. Work ethic is the difference between an umpire and someone who umpires.

You can warn a child about being burned by fire or touching a hot iron or whatever, but only when the child suffers a burn of some type will s/he be able to fully appreciate and understand the warnings.

Do it right the first time and there is no "catching up" to do, which I find to be a difficult task for many.

The OP suggested a mentor. Would a mentor just offer an answer or page number? Or would a mentor ask a question or offer a comment which would lead to further research and hopeful discovery?

Mike offered the "interference" section. It was stated that there is none. Well, actually there is.....in the Index which breaks down the many situations and locations to find the appropriate rule.

Do we really need to break out that fishy chinese proverb?

You might also note that I previously provided the test answer references which should have taken him to the answers.
Old Thu May 10, 2012, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I agree, but disagree. Work ethic is the difference between an umpire and someone who umpires.

You can warn a child about being burned by fire or touching a hot iron or whatever, but only when the child suffers a burn of some type will s/he be able to fully appreciate and understand the warnings.

Do it right the first time and there is no "catching up" to do, which I find to be a difficult task for many.

The OP suggested a mentor. Would a mentor just offer an answer or page number? Or would a mentor ask a question or offer a comment which would lead to further research and hopeful discovery?

Mike offered the "interference" section. It was stated that there is none. Well, actually there is.....in the Index which breaks down the many situations and locations to find the appropriate rule.

Do we really need to break out that fishy chinese proverb?

You might also note that I previously provided the test answer references which should have taken him to the answers.
You should consider newbies as new born babes. They have to learn to crawl before they can walk. A little more spoon feeding at the beginning is appropriate. To your questions regarding a mentor, the answer is yes to all of them. A good mentor will adjust his approach as the umpire grows. At first, he should answer questions directly. Then as his understanding is strengthened, he should probably start asking questions that will get the umpire to think. Then he could direct the umpire to the appropriate rule.

My mentor answered my questions directly instead of telling me where in the book to look for the answers. My first year I asked a lot of questions. No so much my 2nd year and I didn't ask any my 3rd year. Learning to umpire is a process. I think we can show a little more patience to the newbies and give them more of a direct answer and explain the reasoning instead of just say read rule x.y.z. Then as they grow in understanding, we change our approach. Just like parenting! We answer questions directly when they are young and then as the get older we ask questions to stimulate their thinking.

As to your Chinese fish proverb! I'm assuming you mean "give a man a fish feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime". Well, how are you going to teach him? Tell him to "Go read a book"? How about showing him and teaching him what bait to use for the fish he is after. What's the best time to fish and why. How to cast.
Old Thu May 10, 2012, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Good Lord! Maybe we should broaden this thread turned diatribe into a discussion of whether the OP is a visual learner, auditory learner, or tactile learner and make sure we customize the response to each new guy based on learning style.
Old Thu May 10, 2012, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

You are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Good Lord! Maybe we should broaden this thread turned diatribe into a discussion of whether the OP is a visual learner, auditory learner, or tactile learner and make sure we customize the response to each new guy based on learning style.
Everybody learns the same way. There are no differences in learning styles. We should just teach one way.