The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Coach interference-PONY (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/91060-coach-interference-pony.html)

jmkupka Tue May 08, 2012 11:28am

Coach interference-PONY

The batter is called out if the base coach interferes while out of the coach's box, but as long as he/she doesn't make an action (intentional or otherwise) while in the box, the coach is protected.

Am I interpreting this correctly?
Sorry don't have the book handy, but it was in the rules supplement section.

In ASA, the coach does not have this same protection, correct?

NCASAUmp Tue May 08, 2012 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkupka (Post 840734)
The batter is called out if the base coach interferes while out of the coach's box, but as long as he/she doesn't make an action (intentional or otherwise) while in the box, the coach is protected.

Can't speak for PONY, but ASA does not afford a base coach protection from interference based on their location.

On a thrown ball, it must be intentional for the INT to be called.

On a batted ball, the coach must vacate the area. Intent is irrelevant.

MD Longhorn Tue May 08, 2012 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 840752)
Can't speak for PONY, but ASA does not afford a base coach protection from interference based on their location.

On a thrown ball, it must be intentional for the INT to be called.

On a batted ball, the coach must vacate the area. Intent is irrelevant.

Not sure I completely agree on a thrown ball. If it's apparent that he might end up in the way of an attempt to throw the batter out, he needs to move.

EsqUmp Tue May 08, 2012 05:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkupka (Post 840734)

You are not interpreting it correctly. It actually says the opposite. "Coach's interference occurs when a base coach interferes with a fielder attempting to catch or throw a ball. The coach's box is not a sanctuary."

jmkupka Wed May 09, 2012 04:24pm

Sorry, I actually was referring to the rule (NOT the POE as originally stated): 9.8.q:

"If a coach intentionally interferes with a thrown ball while in the coaches box, or interferes with the defensive team's opportunity to make an out while outside the coaches box"

outathm Wed May 09, 2012 10:56pm

If I were you I would not rely on the POI's in the PONY book. They have been wrong for a long time and efforts to change them have been frustrating at best.

EsqUmp Thu May 10, 2012 06:57am

This any luck, the "inconsistencies" within the PONY rules and POE will be taken care of by 2013.

MD Longhorn Thu May 10, 2012 07:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkupka (Post 841003)
Sorry, I actually was referring to the rule (NOT the POE as originally stated): 9.8.q:

"If a coach intentionally interferes with a thrown ball while in the coaches box, or interferes with the defensive team's opportunity to make an out while outside the coaches box"

Pony's points of interest are a mess. They are almost as bad as some local rules.