The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

I've been invited to my first National - 14A Western in Hillsboro, Oregon.

I have ordered a bunch of stuff from ASA as I don't have the "right" hats or the "right" pants. I have my flight arrangements set. I'll probably be an umpire that is travelling the furthest to go to a tournament: 1 hour drive from the Atlantic to 1 hour drive from the the Pacific.

I'd appreciate any tips on travelling w/ umpire gear as I've not done that before except gear in the trunk of my car. And logistics once on site. I know each venue must be a little different, but there must be a lot of similarities.

I'm pretty excited about the opportunity. Anyone from this board working this tournament? I got the list of names in my package, but it didn't include any log-in names.

Thanx for any/all suggestions.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post

I have ordered a bunch of stuff from ASA as I don't have the "right" hats or the "right" pants. I have my flight arrangements set. I'll probably be an umpire that is travelling the furthest to go to a tournament: 1 hour drive from the Atlantic to 1 hour drive from the the Pacific.

I'd appreciate any tips on travelling w/ umpire gear as I've not done that before except gear in the trunk of my car. And logistics once on site. I know each venue must be a little different, but there must be a lot of similarities.

I'm pretty excited about the opportunity. Anyone from this board working this tournament? I got the list of names in my package, but it didn't include any log-in names.

Have you been given a set uniform yet?
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Have you been given a set uniform yet?
Yes, powder blue shirts and navy pants will be the default colors. I was told to bring the grey pants and navy shirts as well as there may be opportunity to use them.

I ordered the navy pants in 2 different sizes to see which one fits. I was also told to just bring whatever heather grey pants I currently have. So that will save me a few dollars for the time being.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, powder blue shirts and navy pants will be the default colors. I was told to bring the grey pants and navy shirts as well as there may be opportunity to use them.

I ordered the navy pants in 2 different sizes to see which one fits. I was also told to just bring whatever heather grey pants I currently have. So that will save me a few dollars for the time being.
That's part of the problem I asked about last November. Umpires, especially for a FP tournament, have enough to haul around without extra, maybe we will use them, uniforms. I wish they would pick a uniform and just stick with it.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2012, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:

I had that first time feeling last year and wow, was it worth it!
Can't help you with travel tips as I drove from home and had my car at all fields. Also, we had a set uniform, better, as Mike's comment supports.

May I suggest finding someone who knows the venue(s) and the UIC for some mentoring about both; and beforehand thorough study prep.

CONGRATS!
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

the only tip I have for you...

You check one bag (for a fee) and you get a carry-on plus a personal bag (briefcase/laptop/etc...)

Make sure that you pack at least one complete uniform (including equipment) in that carry-on! The last thing that you want to happen is your bag get lost and you get stuck with no equipment.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc25 View Post
the only tip I have for you...

You check one bag (for a fee) and you get a carry-on plus a personal bag (briefcase/laptop/etc...)

Make sure that you pack at least one complete uniform (including equipment) in that carry-on! The last thing that you want to happen is your bag get lost and you get stuck with no equipment.
Good advice....this actually happened to a buddy of mine...he flew to Colorado for a week long tourney....his equipment bag was lost by the airlines, he had a uniform, but he borrowed my equipment for his plate games since we are about the same size. Fortunately, his bag was found and delivered to the hotel the next day.

I'm still trying to figure out how to do it with less than three bags....one for gear, one for uniforms, one for regular clothes.....
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Another option is to find out who/where the host hotel is... arrange for them to accept deliveries, and fed-ex your equipment to the hotel. Much cheaper than checking bags.

Lots of teams do this... (at least the slow pitch teams).
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc25 View Post
Another option is to find out who/where the host hotel is... arrange for them to accept deliveries, and fed-ex your equipment to the hotel. Much cheaper than checking bags.

Lots of teams do this... (at least the slow pitch teams).
This is not a bad idea....as long as UPS/USPS/FedEx doesn't lose the package

Uniform takes precedence over equipment. You can still get on the field with a uniform.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2012, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
This is not a bad idea....as long as UPS/USPS/FedEx doesn't lose the package

Uniform takes precedence over equipment. You can still get on the field with a uniform.
I guess there is just 2 options left.

1) drive.

2a) get your pilots license
2b) purchase a plane large enough to carry all of your supplies
2c) fly yourself.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

The good thing about working in Hillsboro/Portland/Salem is Honig's is right down the road. If your equipment gets misplaced, if you ask the right person you can get a set of "loaner" equipment for the tournament.

I don't know why those pesky Oregonians are so stuck on navy pants. Duffy is definitely persnickety. John Garrett was less so. If you have a pair of gray combos that will take care of the gray pants issues. At least they don't go for the paramedic uniform. :O

Shipping your equipment would be ideal. Even if the hotel won't take a shipment (and I don't see why they wouldn't), knowing those Oregon folks you could have it shipped to one of their houses. If the umpire coordinator is who I think it will be, that would be an ideal solution.

Be sure and get very hydrated before you go. It can get DAMN hot. People think oh, it's Oregon, won't be that bad. Yeahhh, right. You'll swear you are in OKC at least two days out of that week. The only difference: Oregonians have most of their teeth. :O :O
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

:d
Old Mon Jul 23, 2012, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Back to Salem, for 14U/18U A Eastern.
Anyone else?
Old Fri Jul 27, 2012, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
...and I am sending two from Arizona...
Cool, I'm not working as an umpire, but I'll be clean up and water boy every day at one of the fields.

Also if any of your guys need a shipping address for their equipment , I'm right here by all the fields and hotels. Just PM me, if needed.

Last edited by Chess Ref; Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 09:53am.
Old Fri Jul 27, 2012, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Bloomington, In

I will be at the U!0 Nationals in Bloomington, In. Anyone else??? Besides Bill Horrell.