The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Hi Folks,

I'm in the middle of a pile of playoff games and seeing some things I haven't seen before, so here's one of a few topics I'll post in the next short while ....

Can the pitcher pitch as soon as the batter is in the batter's box?

I ump'd an A game (11 year olds) yesterday where the pitcher was definitely rushing. Not to intentionally catch the batters off guard, I believe, but I think it was just her nature.

Anyway, I called a half-dozen "no pitches".

Twice because I wasn't even ready and the rest because the batters had just stepped into the box and hadn't even set up yet.

Doesn't the pitcher have to give the batter a chance to prepare properly? The pitcher's coach started giving me a hard time saying "If they're in the box she can pitch!"

... bobbrix
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

You didn't specify the rules, but most of them state that they pitcher must take, or simulate taking a sign from the pitching plate before delivering her pitch. Even if she only has one pitch, she must simulate taking a sign, i.e. don't quick pitch.

Option A, which many rules specify: call an illegal pitch.

Option B, which I don't believe is kosher but makes sense to me: explain to the pitcher that if you are not ready to see the pitch, you have no option but to call it a ball.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Excuse me, but why isn't your hand up? I watch the batter when she steps into the box. I watch her eyes so I know when she is settled and is ready for the pitch. Then I drop the hand and allow the batter to pitch.

If she pitches while my hand is up, I jump out and holler "no pitch." Then quickly - "Pitcher, watch me! You don't pitch until I let you!" Too many umpires are lazy and allow the players to dictate the pace of the game. Sorry girls, that is my job and I will not abdicate the responsibility to you.

WMB
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Excuse me, but why isn't your hand up? I watch the batter when she steps into the box. I watch her eyes so I know when she is settled and is ready for the pitch. Then I drop the hand and allow the batter to pitch.
What kind of game are you playing, WMB?

Anyway, I agree. You gotta have your hand up and say something like, "Let the batter get set."
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

I know you're not ASA up there in Canada, but the ASA rules that pertain are ASA 1-QUICK PITCH and 6-10B. The definition of Quick Pitch is particularly helpful (Rule 1), because it referes to the batter taking "...a desired position in the batter's box..." IOW, it is not just being IN the box, but in the box in the batter's desired position.

There is no penalty for a quick pitch - it is just a do-over (i.e. a "no pitch"). Although, if I had a pitcher who continued to ignore my hand or my "play" signal, I'd give the coach (considering the age of the plauyers) an official warning & after that, continued ignoring of my instructions would result in ejection of his pitcher. 6 times in one game is too many.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

continuous learning ...

i've only been putting my hand up for the 1st pitch at the start of an inning or after i've called time

are we supposed to be putting our hand up for each pitch??

Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobbrix
Hi Folks,

I'm in the middle of a pile of playoff games and seeing some things I haven't seen before, so here's one of a few topics I'll post in the next short while ....

Can the pitcher pitch as soon as the batter is in the batter's box?
Not if you are a good umpire

Quote:
I ump'd an A game (11 year olds) yesterday where the pitcher was definitely rushing. Not to intentionally catch the batters off guard, I believe, but I think it was just her nature.

Anyway, I called a half-dozen "no pitches".

Twice because I wasn't even ready and the rest because the batters had just stepped into the box and hadn't even set up yet.

Doesn't the pitcher have to give the batter a chance to prepare properly? The pitcher's coach started giving me a hard time saying "If they're in the box she can pitch!"

... bobbrix
Ask the coach for a citation of the rule for that one.

Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
continuous learning ...

i've only been putting my hand up for the 1st pitch at the start of an inning or after i've called time

It's a matter of judgment and game management. If the batter is not set (going through their little pre-pitch ritual, taking signs from the coach, etc., they will typically have one hand up (but not always, especially at younger ages).

What you do depends...

If it is routine, and not an overly involved, time-consuming ritual, hold up you hand, or otherwise be not ready for the pitch yourself (standing full upright, etc.). That way, if the pitcher pitches or begins her motion, you can declare "DEAD BALL; NO PITCH; YOUNG LADY, WAIT UNTIL I AM READY." No argument from the coach about the batter.

If, OTOH, the batter is delaying the game with an excessively long between-pitch ritual (especially if it is late in a timed game and you suspect intentional delay), order the batter to get ready, stay in the box, stay ready, whatever to speed her up. As a last resort, you can call a strike with no pitch having been delivered. In youth ball, though, don't allow a pitch if the batter is not ready (safety issue).
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
Quote:

I put mine up if the pitcher is ready before the batter. IOW, if the pitcher's ready to pitch before the batter steps in, I put up my hand until the batter is ready. If the batter steps in and is ready before the pitcher is ready, then I don't hold the pitcher up.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

I've had several coaches try to tell me that as long as the batter is in the box, the pitcher can pitch. Since the batter is not supposed to leave the box between pitches, that would mean that the pitcher can always pitch at any time.

Usually you know quickly whether the pitcher, like 95 percent of pitchers, will wait until the batter gets set and looks out at the mound. I do many games in which I very seldom if at all have to put my hand up. In those instances in which the pitcher needs to be reined in, I do it.

Funny—slow pitch requires more umpire control over the pitcher than does fast pitch, in my experience.