The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, the post below got me thinking, I had the following situation in a game.

R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st 1 out. Left handed batter hits a fly ball toward 1st base as PU I call out "Infield fly, batter out if fair." Ball is dropped foul, I call "Foul Ball." A left handed batter come up and hits a grounder to get safe at first. Defense coach comes out and appeals BOO. Turns out B3 went to dugout after my infield fly call, she nor any of her coaches heard my "if fair", nor did they question the fact it was a foul ball. B4 who was also a left handed batter (these are the only 2 on the team) came up and started batting since B3 went to the bench. As this girl is the same build and has the same color hair I never noticed that is wasn't B3, and since left handed batters are not that common I never thought to question it. Now the question is what should have been ruled?? I ruled B3 out for BOO, and returned runners to bases and put B4 back up to plate. But I now question if this was the right call. I am thinking about the actions of an umpire causing the player to be at risk. I know that they should have known the situation 18U rec ball(most 13-15 year olds), but wondered what the experts have to say.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see a BOO call here. What I see is B3 being called out for entering the dugout area. Two outs, B4 at bat.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
I don't see a BOO call here. What I see is B3 being called out for entering the dugout area. Two outs, B4 at bat.
Speaking ASA

No rule for that one as it only applies to an active runner or BR. Cannot be active on a foul/dead ball.

If B4 hit the first pitch, I have no problem with the BOO call, returning the runners and B4 returning to the box. If it was not the first pitch, then the defensive coach missed his/her opportunity for an out and B3's at bat is just skipped.

As far as putting someone at risk, who was it? You called foul ball. If they are so preoccupied they cannot hear the calls or see the umpire's signal, that's their problem.

I think you got the call right assuming B4 hit the first pitch.

Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
If B4 hit the first pitch, I have no problem with the BOO call...
I'm confused as to why the first pitch. B3 is still the batter of record. B3 was allowing B4 to complete her turn at bat. My thoughts would be the no matter how many pitches B4 took, that it is still B3's turn. Once the B4 hit, then the appeal must be made prior to one pitch to B5.

Plus, it B4 did not get a hit on the first pitch, but perhaps fouled it off, and then took a called strike on the next pitch, would not the umpire have called her out on what she would think is two strikes?
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
Quote:
If B4 hit the first pitch, I have no problem with the BOO call...
I'm confused as to why the first pitch. B3 is still the batter of record. B3 was allowing B4 to complete her turn at bat. My thoughts would be the no matter how many pitches B4 took, that it is still B3's turn. Once the B4 hit, then the appeal must be made prior to one pitch to B5.

Plus, it B4 did not get a hit on the first pitch, but perhaps fouled it off, and then took a called strike on the next pitch, would not the umpire have called her out on what she would think is two strikes?
Because if it is caught prior to that, you just replace B4 with B3. However, if B4 finished her turn at bat (semantics, you are correct, I failed to be specific), the defensive coach has a valid protest.

And I did skip a beat. A pitch to B5 would negate a BOO protest.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Speaking ASA

No rule for that one as it only applies to an active runner or BR. Cannot be active on a foul/dead ball.

[/QUOTE]

D'oh! True, Mike, true. I stand corrected!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.