The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
#1.Situation --- Girl bats out of order and gets a single. Offensive team discovers this and brings it to PU attention. What do you do with the girl on first and who would be up to bat now?

#2. Look back rule --- Rule book and POE state two different things. One talks about the runner being stationary while the pitcher has the ball in the circle, the other doesn't.

Situation --- Girl on any base leads off with the pitch and stops. Then then ball goes back to the pitcher in the circle. When the girl stopped after her lead off, is that considered the one stop she gets, even though the ball isn't in the cirle yet or is she allowed another stop after the pitcher has the ball in the circle? Thanks, Dave
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shipwreck
#1.Situation --- Girl bats out of order and gets a single. Offensive team discovers this and brings it to PU attention. What do you do with the girl on first and who would be up to bat now?
Let me restate: B1 is due up. B2 bats and reaches 1st base. Defense appeals BOO. B1 is ruled out. B2's advance is nullified (along with the advance of any runner who may have been on base), and B2 bats again.

Quote:
#2. Look back rule --- Rule book and POE state two different things. One talks about the runner being stationary while the pitcher has the ball in the circle, the other doesn't.
Can you please state specifically what statements you are referring to?

Quote:
Situation --- Girl on any base leads off with the pitch and stops. Then then ball goes back to the pitcher in the circle. When the girl stopped after her lead off, is that considered the one stop she gets, even though the ball isn't in the cirle yet or is she allowed another stop after the pitcher has the ball in the circle? Thanks, Dave
She doesn't get a stop because she is not moving. If the runner is stationary off the base when the lookback rule goes into effect, the runner must decide immediately which direction she is going to go, and proceed non-stop. Of course, if a play is made on her, then she can stop and reverse directions if she wants.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

#1, If offense brings to PU's attention, they are dumb! you must mean defense. If discovered before the next pitch, the batter who should have batted is out, and all advances are nullified. The next batter following incorrect batter is now up, that may be the one who just hit. If an out was made, it stands, and go to the next batter. Now if the offense did report the infraction, I tell coach I didn't hear that (this has happened) this is a defense appeal.
#2, This is confusing if you let it be. Rule is lengthy, but clear, POE states the same and does clarify. Your situation ...Girl can stop, run, wiggle or whatever until ball is in circle and pitcher has control. Look-back then comes into play, runner must go directly one way or the other, and if she stops again, she is called out. Note also, pitcher has no responsibility to "Look" runner back. I seem to get this question at most every game. The last was from 12U pitcher "I looked at her, and she was off 2nd" Yes , but she was going back thats OK.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Referring to the BOO, I am saying that B2 bats when B1 should. Offensive coach realizes they screwed up, and not wanting the defense to get an out for BOO, brings it to PU attention. If they send up B3, and before a pitch the defense appeals BOO, then B1 would be out. What I am saying is, what can the offense do to keep from getting a BOO?
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

The only thing you can do at this point is play innocent, get your next batter into the box quickly (B3), and try to get a pitch thrown before the defense notices.

The rule says that BOO is... an appeal play that can be made only by the defensive team...

Your opportunity to correct the error with no penalty passed as soon as B2 completed her time at bat. If you try to fix it now, you will only be tipping off the defense, and they will appeal, and B1 will be ruled out.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

OK, so the girl leads off with the pitch and then turns and is going back to the base when the pitcher receives the ball in the circle. Is she still allowed to stop once with no infraction? Dave
Old Mon Jun 23, 2003, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

If she was in motion going back to the base when F1 received the ball, then yes, she is allowed one stop.

In the ol' cat & mouse stare down between catcher and runner (especially one on 3rd), I've often heard coaches tell their catcher to get the runner moving back toward the base & then throw it to the pitcher.

Fine, if their idea is that the runner would then be less likely to try a delayed steal, but not fine if they think that somehow prevents the runner from reversing direction under the look back rule.