The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I had nothing.

Looooong time lurker, first post! NFHS rules.
R1 on third, R2 on second, passed ball.
R1 scores easily, R1 rounds third headed for home, F1 covers plate and sets up for play, I set up in good calling position and look to find the ball. I see it between batter's feet about ten (feet up the line) and ten (feet off the line) away from plate along 3BL. I didn't see batter inadvertently touch ball, but DC is yelling that she kicked it. If I had seen it, I would have to judge if there were a play at the plate to interfere with, correct?

Last edited by PATRICK; Wed Apr 18, 2012 at 10:20pm. Reason: Correct and add info
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

You obviously can't call what you didn't see. 10 feet up 3BL seems an odd place for the batter to be if that's also where the ball rolled. You might have interference here even if the batter didn't touch the ball - if the catcher was hindered from making a play... and to answer your final question, yes, you'd need a possibility of a play for there to be interference with that play.

And welcome!

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATRICK View Post
R1 on third, R1 on second, passed ball.
R1 scores easily, R1 rounds third headed for home, F1 covers plate and sets up for play, I set up in good calling position and look to find the ball. I see it between batter's feet about ten and ten away from plate along 3BL. I didn't see batter inadvertently touch ball, but DC is yelling that she kicked it. If I had seen it, I would have to judge if there were a play at the plate to interfere with, correct?
You did not see anything, so how can you make any kind of a call. You also need to explain the play much better. You cannot have two R1's......and why was the batter 10 feet up the 3BL.

Welcome to the board, but please explain the play a bit more accurately.

Thanks......

Joel
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
You did not see anything, so how can you make any kind of a call. You also need to explain the play much better. You cannot have two R1's......and why was the batter 10 feet up the 3BL.

Welcome to the board, but please explain the play a bit more accurately.

Thanks......

Joel
Ten feet up the line and ten feet off the line.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2012, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

The batter was 10 feet up the line to get out of the way of the play. That should be pretty obvious. Rather than standing near the plate wondering whether she would be interfering, actively interfering or intentionally interfering. She bailed out like more batters should do.

In order to have interference, there needs to be a hinderance of the offense of a defensive player attempting to execute a play. It is a rule of equity intended to make right what was wrong. If there was no possibility of a play (your judgment), then there would be no interference (assuming you did see the player kick the ball).
Old Thu Apr 19, 2012, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
The batter was 10 feet up the line to get out of the way of the play. That should be pretty obvious. Rather than standing near the plate wondering whether she would be interfering, actively interfering or intentionally interfering. She bailed out like more batters should do.

In order to have interference, there needs to be a hindrance of the offense of a defensive player attempting to execute a play. It is a rule of equity intended to make right what was wrong. If there was no possibility of a play (your judgment), then there would be no interference (assuming you did see the player kick the ball).
When initially posted, the parentheticals were not there, and it was not clear she was OFF the line. 10 feet UP the line is certainly not a normal "bail out like batters should do". Given the new information, it makes more sense. {Although a batter should not bail out TOWARD the ball, but rather away from it.}

West Houston Mike
Old Sun Apr 22, 2012, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATRICK View Post
R1 on third, R2 on second, passed ball.
R1 scores easily, R1 rounds third headed for home, F1 covers plate and sets up for play, I set up in good calling position and look to find the ball. I see it between batter's feet about ten (feet up the line) and ten (feet off the line) away from plate along 3BL. I didn't see batter inadvertently touch ball, but DC is yelling that she kicked it. If I had seen it, I would have to judge if there were a play at the plate to interfere with, correct?
how could you set up for the call without knowing where the ball is? keep your eye on the ball and then set up accordingly. i think that would have alleviated most of your problem with the coach
Old Sun Apr 22, 2012, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire12 View Post
how could you set up for the call without knowing where the ball is? keep your eye on the ball and then set up accordingly. i think that would have alleviated most of your problem with the coach
Obviously, you cannot get into the best position until you know from where the potentional throw will be coming, but finding the ball is not the first thing you need to do as the PU on a PB or WP. First you have to make sure you and the catcher clear eash other. 95% of the time, s/he will take you to the ball. If the catcher seems to be searching, then stand back and try finding the ball, but also be aware of all player action in the area.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2012, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Where was the catcher?

Rita