The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   I had nothing. (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/90661-i-had-nothing.html)

PATRICK Wed Apr 18, 2012 01:18pm

I had nothing.

Looooong time lurker, first post! NFHS rules.
R1 on third, R2 on second, passed ball.
R1 scores easily, R1 rounds third headed for home, F1 covers plate and sets up for play, I set up in good calling position and look to find the ball. I see it between batter's feet about ten (feet up the line) and ten (feet off the line) away from plate along 3BL. I didn't see batter inadvertently touch ball, but DC is yelling that she kicked it. If I had seen it, I would have to judge if there were a play at the plate to interfere with, correct?

MD Longhorn Wed Apr 18, 2012 03:11pm

You obviously can't call what you didn't see. 10 feet up 3BL seems an odd place for the batter to be if that's also where the ball rolled. You might have interference here even if the batter didn't touch the ball - if the catcher was hindered from making a play... and to answer your final question, yes, you'd need a possibility of a play for there to be interference with that play.

And welcome!

Gulf Coast Blue Wed Apr 18, 2012 05:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PATRICK (Post 837897)
R1 on third, R1 on second, passed ball.
R1 scores easily, R1 rounds third headed for home, F1 covers plate and sets up for play, I set up in good calling position and look to find the ball. I see it between batter's feet about ten and ten away from plate along 3BL. I didn't see batter inadvertently touch ball, but DC is yelling that she kicked it. If I had seen it, I would have to judge if there were a play at the plate to interfere with, correct?

You did not see anything, so how can you make any kind of a call. You also need to explain the play much better. You cannot have two R1's......and why was the batter 10 feet up the 3BL.

Welcome to the board, but please explain the play a bit more accurately.

Thanks......

Joel

PATRICK Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue (Post 837946)
You did not see anything, so how can you make any kind of a call. You also need to explain the play much better. You cannot have two R1's......and why was the batter 10 feet up the 3BL.

Welcome to the board, but please explain the play a bit more accurately.

Thanks......

Joel

Ten feet up the line and ten feet off the line.

EsqUmp Thu Apr 19, 2012 07:00am

The batter was 10 feet up the line to get out of the way of the play. That should be pretty obvious. Rather than standing near the plate wondering whether she would be interfering, actively interfering or intentionally interfering. She bailed out like more batters should do.

In order to have interference, there needs to be a hinderance of the offense of a defensive player attempting to execute a play. It is a rule of equity intended to make right what was wrong. If there was no possibility of a play (your judgment), then there would be no interference (assuming you did see the player kick the ball).

MD Longhorn Thu Apr 19, 2012 08:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 838018)
The batter was 10 feet up the line to get out of the way of the play. That should be pretty obvious. Rather than standing near the plate wondering whether she would be interfering, actively interfering or intentionally interfering. She bailed out like more batters should do.

In order to have interference, there needs to be a hindrance of the offense of a defensive player attempting to execute a play. It is a rule of equity intended to make right what was wrong. If there was no possibility of a play (your judgment), then there would be no interference (assuming you did see the player kick the ball).

When initially posted, the parentheticals were not there, and it was not clear she was OFF the line. 10 feet UP the line is certainly not a normal "bail out like batters should do". Given the new information, it makes more sense. {Although a batter should not bail out TOWARD the ball, but rather away from it.}

umpire12 Sun Apr 22, 2012 09:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PATRICK (Post 837897)
R1 on third, R2 on second, passed ball.
R1 scores easily, R1 rounds third headed for home, F1 covers plate and sets up for play, I set up in good calling position and look to find the ball. I see it between batter's feet about ten (feet up the line) and ten (feet off the line) away from plate along 3BL. I didn't see batter inadvertently touch ball, but DC is yelling that she kicked it. If I had seen it, I would have to judge if there were a play at the plate to interfere with, correct?

how could you set up for the call without knowing where the ball is? keep your eye on the ball and then set up accordingly. i think that would have alleviated most of your problem with the coach

IRISHMAFIA Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpire12 (Post 838415)
how could you set up for the call without knowing where the ball is? keep your eye on the ball and then set up accordingly. i think that would have alleviated most of your problem with the coach

Obviously, you cannot get into the best position until you know from where the potentional throw will be coming, but finding the ball is not the first thing you need to do as the PU on a PB or WP. First you have to make sure you and the catcher clear eash other. 95% of the time, s/he will take you to the ball. If the catcher seems to be searching, then stand back and try finding the ball, but also be aware of all player action in the area.

Rita C Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:07am

Where was the catcher?

Rita