The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 19, 2003, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Here is a link for the 2004 Fed Softball Changes.
http://www.nfhs.org/sports/softball_rules_change.htm

Main change is the DP/Flex rule change.

3-1-5 (F.P.) Replaces the Designated Hitter (DH) Rule with the Designated Player/FLEX Rule. The main differences being: 1) The role of the DP (offensive player) is never terminated, it is possible for a team to go from 10 to nine players and back to 10 players any number of times during the game; and 2) The DP (offensive player) and the FLEX (defensive player for whom she is batting) can play defense at the same time.

Ooy Vay!
Old Thu Jun 19, 2003, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Arizona was one of the states that used DP/DEFO as an experiment this past season. There was an online poll conducted at the end of the season to gauge both coach's and umpire's response to the rule. If anyone is interested, here is the link to the results:

http://www.cactusumpires.com/pages/s...dp-survey.html
Old Thu Jun 19, 2003, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Pennsylvania was another of the "experimental" states that used the DP in 2003 - there were 4 official experimental states (I think they were AZ, IN, MN, & PA). This is a good change as it brings Fed into compliance with ASA (& NCAA) and ASA is the national governing body of softball. For the past several years, ASA has had a rep sitting in on the NCAA & Fed rules committees, Fed has had someone sitting in on the rules committees for ASA & NCAA, and NCAA has had someone sitting in on ASA & Fed rules committees. Word I get is that ASA and NCAA will change their wording to match Fed's - FLEX instead of DP or TENTH PLAYER. It's one less difference amongst the three major sanctioning bodies, so it's a very good thing from my perspective.

Steve M
Old Thu Jun 19, 2003, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Pennsylvania was another of the "experimental" states that used the DP in 2003 - there were 4 official experimental states (I think they were AZ, IN, MN, & PA). This is a good change as it brings Fed into compliance with ASA (& NCAA) and ASA is the national governing body of softball. For the past several years, ASA has had a rep sitting in on the NCAA & Fed rules committees, Fed has had someone sitting in on the rules committees for ASA & NCAA, and NCAA has had someone sitting in on ASA & Fed rules committees. Word I get is that ASA and NCAA will change their wording to match Fed's - FLEX instead of DP or TENTH PLAYER. It's one less difference amongst the three major sanctioning bodies, so it's a very good thing from my perspective.

Steve M
As much as I hate the rule, DEFO is, in my opinion, the more proper and fitting of the acronyms or terms used. However, it wouldn't be the first time these folks have done something I consider stupid and I'm sure they believe the same of me!
Old Thu Jun 19, 2003, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
As much as I hate the rule, DEFO is, in my opinion, the more proper and fitting of the acronyms or terms used. ... snip ...
Right (although I don't hate it). If the player is defensive only (unlike an EP), the DEFO is the best term, especially as FLEX is so generic as to be meaningless. Points out that the committee didn't know what they wanted when they started. At least we may get rid of "tenth player". Now we have to look at what wording NFHS messed with to cause confusion.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2003, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Also:
8-1-2 Effect 3
Clarified the effect by restating the last sentence as, “When a fair ball touches a runner who is in contact with a base, the ball is dead or live depending on whether the closest fielder is in front of the base (live) or behind the base (dead).”

I hope we don't argue all season about "even". Even usually would be behind the runner if not the base, so I would say that is dead (intent to protect the fielder's right to the ball).
Old Thu Jun 19, 2003, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Also:
8-1-2 Effect 3
Clarified the effect by restating the last sentence as, “When a fair ball touches a runner who is in contact with a base, the ball is dead or live depending on whether the closest fielder is in front of the base (live) or behind the base (dead).”

I hope we don't argue all season about "even". Even usually would be behind the runner if not the base, so I would say that is dead (intent to protect the fielder's right to the ball).
If "even", then the batted ball did not pass the fielder, dead ball.

That's why they call it a "judgment call"!

Old Sat Jun 21, 2003, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

That's my point.
I agree it's dead ("so I would say that is dead (intent to protect the fielder's right to the ball)"), but the rule wording apparently relates the fielder's position to the base instead of the ball/runner contact point.

The rule wording doesn't cover the fielder being "even" with the base, and when we rule dead or live based on the ball passing the fielder, there probably will be arguments caused by the rule wording. It would be better if the rule wording used the ball-fielder relationship for the limitation, like the rule for being hit when off the base. Different effect, but the same limitation wording could be used.

Also, the rule wording is not clear about whether "closest fielder" means closest to the base or closest to the ball/runner.
Old Sat Jun 21, 2003, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
That's my point.
I agree it's dead ("so I would say that is dead (intent to protect the fielder's right to the ball)"), but the rule wording apparently relates the fielder's position to the base instead of the ball/runner contact point.

The rule wording doesn't cover the fielder being "even" with the base, and when we rule dead or live based on the ball passing the fielder, there probably will be arguments caused by the rule wording. It would be better if the rule wording used the ball-fielder relationship for the limitation, like the rule for being hit when off the base. Different effect, but the same limitation wording could be used.

Also, the rule wording is not clear about whether "closest fielder" means closest to the base or closest to the ball/runner.
Didn't disagree with you. Just noting that if the player is even with the bag and the ball hits the runner while in contact with the bag, then the ball didn't past the fielder. Much along the same lines the when a rule says the pitcher must hold the ball in front of them, means the the ball cannot be behind them.

Old Sat Jun 21, 2003, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

And as we both mentioned, the call is based on the ball passing the fielder, i.e., hitting the runner before or after passing the fielder; but the unedited NFHS rule will cause arguments.

Further torment:
What if the hit runner is on 2nd touching the back of the bag and F6 is even with the base?
Also, being "even" with the base should be measured with a line perpendicular to the ball's trajectory, but some will claim it's a line connecting the bases.
Just bad wording!