The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up New ASA Shirts

In honor of "going green" this year, ASA has announced that they will permit a new style shirt for ASA umpires.

The "Blues Go Green" shirt will be available on Officialgear.com later today, and will start at $29 per shirt (the extra $4 going towards "go green" programs).

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Sun Apr 01, 2012 at 10:56am.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

I almost forgot what day it was....

...And was hoping that maybe ASA had come out with a new shirt that didn't breathe like Saran Wrap or have the texture of sandpaper!
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

New shirt was developed to allow the umpires a place to use those old pink buttons.

The matching pants would be khaki that will show every bit of sweat and dirt, but will look cool!

And let's not forget the all-black Docksiders, Bass or Clark deck-shoes. Socks are optional.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
I almost forgot what day it was....

...And was hoping that maybe ASA had come out with a new shirt that didn't breathe like Saran Wrap or have the texture of sandpaper!
It's one of my better 'Shops...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
New shirt was developed to allow the umpires a place to use those old pink buttons.

The matching pants would be khaki that will show every bit of sweat and dirt, but will look cool!

And let's not forget the all-black Docksiders, Bass or Clark deck-shoes. Socks are optional.
Now we have something to do with the grey pants that have turned lavender!!!
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
In honor of "going green" this year, ASA has announced that they will permit a new style shirt for ASA umpires.

The "Blues Go Green" shirt will be available on Officialgear.com later today, and will start at $29 per shirt (the extra $4 going towards "go green" programs).
Actually, all joking aside, that would be a cool shirt IMO.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post

You guys who are in the know ASA wise....is there any possibility of this happening:
1) Any time soon?
2) In the foreseeable future?
or 3) No?
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
[/I][/B]

You guys who are in the know ASA wise....is there any possibility of this happening:
1) Any time soon?
or 3) No?
There was some discussion at the last ASA Council meeting on this issue. ASA properties has been researching some alternative fabrics, but they have said that the issues they are running into are the durability of lighter weight fabrics and the cost. Evidently, the lighter weight fabrics cost more.

I seem to remember a thread about this as well. I will see if I can find it.

Here it is: Additional Notes from Umpire Committee

Last edited by Andy; Mon Apr 02, 2012 at 10:55am. Reason: add thread link
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

umpire bears the cost. ASA make the profits, they just pass on the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
There was some discussion at the last ASA Council meeting on this issue. ASA properties has been researching some alternative fabrics, but they have said that the issues they are running into are the durability of lighter weight fabrics and the cost. Evidently, the lighter weight fabrics cost more.

Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 12:06pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:

Smitty puts out an affordable, well made umpire shirt with performance fabric.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There was some discussion at the last ASA Council meeting on this issue. ASA properties has been researching some alternative fabrics, but they have said that the issues they are running into are the durability of lighter weight fabrics and the cost. Evidently, the lighter weight fabrics cost more...
Somehow, I've managed to get this far in life without depending on the ASA to make the cost/quality/wear-ability, etc. decisions for me in all of my other items of apparel. Why does ASA feel the overwhelming desire to "protect" me from myself when buying uniforms?

Just offer a choice! What's wrong with that? Let the umpires make their own decisions on what trade-offs they want to make on durability, fabric, and cost!

As I said in the other thread, if they want to tackle a useful issue with uniforms, fix the heather gray fade to pink in nothing flat issue.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
[/I][/B]

1) Any time soon?
or 3) No?
IIRC, this came up at the NUS in Burlington this year. They wanted to get the shirts sometime this year, but there are issues with changing over the inventory and getting the supplies up.

My understanding from a couple sources is that they'd probably go with something more like the Dalco shirts.

Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

New shirts for ASA...

will be out middle of April, according to our Region UIC. He put this out on 25 March. Said cost would be about $32.00.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Purchase Officials Supply (in Akron) has been supplying our local high school group (in Columbus) Smitty brand shirts with the Ohio High School Athletic Association embroidered on them (a more intricate design than "ASA" and with multiple colors of thread) for $25. Their regular price through their website is $30. Plain Smitty shirts, with no logo, run $24.

Oh, yes...and they include a pocket!

These are lightweight shirts using "high-tech" fabric, they breathe, they're generously cut and roomy. So I guess that shirts like this can be had for just a tiny premium over the old ASA shirts.

Unless Dalco has changed their material (which wouldn't be a big surprise, since most of the manufacturers seem to be going that way) these were always some of my least favorite shirts. The material was stiff and wrinkled easily. No matter how I washed or dryed them, they came out wrinkled and they's get more wrinkled just hanging up in the closet. The material was so stiff that it wasn't even like normal wrinkles. It was more like hundreds of small permanent creases! And the mesh on these was so wide that you could read the logo on your chest protector or undershirt.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Somehow, I've managed to get this far in life without depending on the ASA to make the cost/quality/wear-ability, etc. decisions for me in all of my other items of apparel...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Well, look who emerged from his cave!