The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 15, 2003, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

youth, girls, categories age 9-17

leagues playoffs have started, so the coaches are supposed to use lineup cards now (don't use them in regular season)

question:
does the order of the STARTING players on the lineup
card have to match the batting order on the score
sheet???

(or, in other words) can they just list starting lineup on the lineup card in any order and then put them in a different order on their score sheet??)

couldn't find anything in the rule book on this

i was asked this yesterday ... told the coach "well, it would make the umpire happy if your lineup card matched the batting order on your score sheet" ... he said something like "ok, now i get it ... and i guess keeping the umpire happy would be wise!!"

Old Sun Jun 15, 2003, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

I would think the purpose of the lineup card would be to show your batting order as well as other subs. Yes, I think the lineup card has to show the same batting order as the score sheet.
Old Sun Jun 15, 2003, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

The lineup card given to the PU is the official batting order
for the game. PU should asked who and where the official scorer
is and do they have the lineups. If for some reason there is
no official scorer, then usually the home team is designated
as such. Visitors should also keep a book for the purpose of verifying
batting order and score.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Jun 15, 2003, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
The lineup card given to the PU is the official batting order for the game. PU should asked who and where the official scorer is and do they have the lineups. If for some reason there is no official scorer, then usually the home team is designated as such. Visitors should also keep a book for the purpose of verifying batting order and score.

glen
You might not have found a rule about them matching because as w_ump said "The lineup card given to the PU is the official batting order for the game". Any other records will not make any sense unless they match. There might be something in the scoring rule that says keep a record in the order they occur or a record of batters in the order they appear or etc.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

The leagues that do not give the umpire an official lineup card make some of the games interesting. If they are batting everyone, I do not care if I get a lineup card. They can exchange that information between the two teams. I tell them that all I care about is that the score is kept properly.

But what happens when these teams move on to a tournament or they are all star teams from the league, the coaches do not have a clue about substitution. I have these parent/coaches during a tournanment going to each others books to make changes without telling me.

No clue! And then when you tell them that all changes need to go through the plate umpire, they look at you like you are speaking Martian.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Vietti
The leagues that do not give the umpire an official lineup card make some of the games interesting. If they are batting everyone, I do not care if I get a lineup card. They can exchange that information between the two teams. I tell them that all I care about is that the score is kept properly.

But what happens when these teams move on to a tournament or they are all star teams from the league, the coaches do not have a clue about substitution. I have these parent/coaches during a tournanment going to each others books to make changes without telling me.

No clue! And then when you tell them that all changes need to go through the plate umpire, they look at you like you are speaking Martian.
I call regularly for a JO fastpitch rec league. Their league rules are bat the roster and unlimited def. subs. I didn't bother to keep a lineup card until about mid last season. Two 16U teams. Defense (home team) claims BOO. Offense scorekeeper gets together with defense - books don't match. Lots of confusion as to who's on first (etc.) After a few minutes of this, I uphold the appeal (home book is supposed to be official, although I believe the home scorekeeper wrote the lineup down wrong 'cause one kid was completely missing from her book). After that, I bought my own pack of lineup cards and I require the coaches to fill them out.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Makes you think the lineup card rule was made for a reason, even though we get accused of making up our own rules if we expect a legitimate one.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I don't care what the team books have in them, But the lineup card they give me, is the one that will be followed.

I don't think I have ever heard that question before. Most coaches know that the lineup card and the line up in the books need to match.
NIF
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

For those whose pages have fallen out or whose books are still wrapped , it's 7-2-A & B and 11-2-A in ASA.