The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 13, 2003, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to hukonrt Send a message via Yahoo to hukonrt
I coach a coed team. I also could play (loose definition) if we are short of guys. I would like to play offense only as an EP because defensively I could be a liability to the team due to the fact that I am an amputee (right hand) and although I can catch fairly well, I never quite got the hang of slinging the ball left handed(plus removing the glove, tranferring the ball etc). Our league has no EP, or DH rule for coed. The question is whether the ADA rule might supersede the coed alternating of batters if I was used as an EP under the ADA rule and batting 11 which would result in two males in succession. Has anyone had any experience with a situation like this? Most of our umpires believe that I should play if I want to, but being an umpire also and not wishing to take the bat out of any teammates hands (more batters, less at-bats), I prefer not to make an issue of it. Not really a big deal, just curious.
Old Sat Jun 14, 2003, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Hukonrt,

I assuming your talking ASA and IRISHMAFIA I am sure will be able to gave you an answer concerning this. My suggestion would be to talk with the league commissioner about allowing co-ed teams to properly use the EP rules as in the rule book which would gave you the chance to participate and another female on your team a chance to play also and by allowing all teams to use the EP it would be fair for everybody.

Answer to your question though I dont know how the ADA rule could supersede the co-ed rules to let you bat 11 instead of 10 or 12 if using the EP

JMO

Don
Old Sat Jun 14, 2003, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hukonrt
I coach a coed team. I also could play (loose definition) if we are short of guys. I would like to play offense only as an EP because defensively I could be a liability to the team due to the fact that I am an amputee (right hand) and although I can catch fairly well, I never quite got the hang of slinging the ball left handed(plus removing the glove, tranferring the ball etc). Our league has no EP, or DH rule for coed. The question is whether the ADA rule might supersede the coed alternating of batters if I was used as an EP under the ADA rule and batting 11 which would result in two males in succession. Has anyone had any experience with a situation like this? Most of our umpires believe that I should play if I want to, but being an umpire also and not wishing to take the bat out of any teammates hands (more batters, less at-bats), I prefer not to make an issue of it. Not really a big deal, just curious.
Speaking ASA Co-ed

There are two ways of doing this. The first is that you can play as an EP as long as there is an accompanying female EP. Or, you can be a DP and share the spot in the batting order with another male which plays defense only (DEFO). As far as the alternating line-up, the only way that changes is if a team is playing shorthanded. However, none of these solves your problem as if you are short male players to start, these remedies are semi-useless to you.

Yes, this is a FP rule, but is utilized for the purpose of accommodating an ADA player.