The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Odd schedule tonight

I have a 6U game (that's six ... not a typo, and no, I don't know why they want umpires for 6U) followed by the plate for an 18U game.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Well, have fun out there! How deep can you crouch in? Or do you dig a GI-shelter hole behind the catcher to stand in? In Holland that age will play T-ball or a new game: Bee-ball, a base/softball variant with only 2 bases and a home-plate.

Practice games will start next Saturday over here and although I'm appointed after today's visit in hospital I had to give back the assignment. My shoulder hurts since x-mas and today the doctor finally stung me with a needle. I'm getting old, my right shoulder is messed up. Can you imagine; not even 43 yr old, never pitched a game and still a worn out shoulder
Maybe I may start my season after April 11... I can't raise my right arm properly, so I can't call a strike nor an out. Games will last very long that way...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

xtreamump

I have to say that it is a great thing that there are Umpires like us. Any time anywhere with anyone. Its a great game, with great people. Great post Mike.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

6U is T-ball ......... isnt it? it is in these parts .....
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
6U is T-ball ......... isnt it? it is in these parts .....
6U is a hybrid here. 3 coach pitches followed by 2 swings off the tee if necessary. Love the local rules I got for this league... They don't want the fielder chasing the runners around - they are trying to encourage throws, and prevent things like the shortstop fielding the ball and racing to first before the batter gets there. Here's the rule:

A tag can be made to a base runner from a defender that is within a REASONABLE distance from the base runner at the time of the play or if it is considered the NATURAL play to make, in the judgment of the umpire.

Every single argument I had last night rested on my personal definition of Reasonable and Natural. Yuck.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 12, 2012, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I have a 6U game (that's six ... not a typo, and no, I don't know why they want umpires for 6U) followed by the plate for an 18U game.
Gulf Coast of Tx Mike! We think little ball is important......although.....I have seen some 8-10U ball that will outdo the 18U rec ball in the area.

Joel
Old Tue Mar 13, 2012, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
Gulf Coast of Tx Mike! We think little ball is important......although.....I have seen some 8-10U ball that will outdo the 18U rec ball in the area.

Joel
I agree, although that's partly the fault of 18u rec! Seems all the good players of that age either play select or play on their HS team (in some cases both). 18U rec is a mess (16U rec not always much better).

Katy has an 8U team that could play even with a lot of 12U teams, and would hold their own even in a 10U tourney. Most of them age up next January - 10U tourney's beware - this team is smokin.

West Houston Mike