The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 30, 2000, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

hello everyone,
i had the oppurtunity this past weekend of working the worlds largest softball tournament in richmond virginia, i think right off hand it was around 287 teams from around the world.it was great except for the rain it poured saturday for about 30 or 45 minutes straight i mean buckets of water. my point is rain really affects the judgement of and umpire, i called a hit ball down the third baseline fair that might have been foul but i shook it off. my next play in the rain was a doozy, runner on first, batter hits a ground ball too third as i come from behind the plate i loose my footing butt i never take my eye off the play i called the guy @ second out, flat on my back, he cussed me up and down while it was pouring, needless too say i tossed him, i think all games should be suspended until all rain has stopped, what do you guys think?
tim
Old Sat Sep 02, 2000, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

I agree, but that isn't going to happen in Richmond on Memorial Day. Frank Taylor is NOT going to lose money just because of a little bit of rain. I have played in that tournament a few times and the # of teams was more than 300. And they will not stop play, come the proverbial hell or high water.

Our team stopped going to that tournament because of the attitude of the organizer.

As an umpire, I will never work that tournament because I will not play in unsafe conditions and they do not pay the umpires enough to take that risk.

JMHO,

Mike
Old Tue Sep 05, 2000, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by iceblue:
How much do you need to get paid to take the risk? It sounds like you have a personal gripe with the organizers. Remember that your not working for them, your working for the ball players!

Tim

That was a rhetorical statement. While my ASA registration would cover the liability, there is not enough money to take the risk of ending up in a courtroom when on of the ball players gets hurt, loses time at work and the insurance company notices a "third party" involvement.

Nope, I go on the field to officiate softball games and the equipment involved and grounds upon which it is played are dangerous instruments during inclement weather.

Mike Rowe

Old Tue Sep 05, 2000, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

Question

How much do you need to get paid to take the risk? It sounds like you have a personal gripe with the organizers. Remember that your not working for them, your working for the ball players!

Tim
Old Thu Sep 07, 2000, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Question

I was under the impression that once the umpires were in control of the game, they were the ones who determined if the field was playable or not. If I'm in fear of falling on my butt because of the field conditions, I'm going to call the game.
Old Fri Sep 08, 2000, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Any your impression is correct. But in this "privatly" run tournament, you may not get any more games if you call a game against the organizer's wishes.

It is indeed a huge tournament and used to be the largest in the world. Unfortunately, that means playing games that normally would not be played.

I have played in that tournament in pouring down rain. And the umpires were instructed to keep the game going.

It is just my opinion that an umpire should not be placed in such a precarious position.

Mike
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Post Playing in the Rain

Ihave officiated for 40 years and the first thing I was taught is that "the SAFETY of the PLAYERS is the primary responsibility of all officials". If you deem it unsafe don't start the game and stop it if those conditions occur during the contest. Thats it in a nutshell. The organizers have no juristiction once the official assumes responsibility.
Suggest that organizer be formally informed.
YISB
Pistol