The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Dropped Strike 2, ASA Rule Book (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/89684-dropped-strike-2-asa-rule-book.html)

umpire george Thu Mar 01, 2012 02:45pm

Dropped Strike 2, ASA Rule Book

No outs, No one on base.
Count of 3 balls 1 strike on batter.
On next pitch, batter swings at and missed pitch which hits dirt in front of plate. Catcher catches pitch cleanly.
Batter believes this is a dropped 3rd srtike and runs to 1st. base.
F2 throws ball to F3.
Do we award ball 4 to batter because the catcher did not throw the ball directly back to the pitcher?
If we do not award ball 4, what rule do we tell OC was used to put batter back in BB to complete her at bat?

MD Longhorn Thu Mar 01, 2012 02:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpire george (Post 829131)
No outs, No one on base.
On next pitch, batter swings at and missed pitch which hits dirt in front of plate. Catcher catches pitch cleanly.
F2 throws ball to F3.
Do we award ball 4 to batter because the catcher did not throw the ball directly back to the pitcher?
If we do not award ball 4, what rule do we tell OC was used to put batter back in BB to complete her at bat?

No rule necessary. Coach - that was only strike 2. Batter will come back to the box. F3 will throw to pitcher. Play on. Don't make it difficult if it's not difficult.

x-tremeump Thu Mar 01, 2012 03:56pm

xtreamump

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 829136)
No rule necessary. Coach - that was only strike 2. Batter will come back to the box. F3 will throw to pitcher. Play on. Don't make it difficult if it's not difficult.

I have been to four Umpire schools & they all say the same thing "Do not over Officiate". Similar play dropped third strike with a runner on First. Runner takes off & everyone in the Stadium yells "run" to the BR, then the catcher throws the ball to F3 she drops the ball & the ball goes into dead ball area. Simply state the batter is out to the OC. If you get into a rule interpretation on some of these plays you might say something that can be used against you later in that game or in the season. Also adding to NCASAUMP I now have spell check.

MD Longhorn Thu Mar 01, 2012 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreamump (Post 829156)
I have been to four Umpire schools & they all say the same thing "Do not over Officiate". Similar play dropped third strike with a runner on First. Runner takes off & everyone in the Stadium yells "run" to the BR, then the catcher throws the ball to F3 she drops the ball & the ball goes into dead ball area. Simply state the batter is out to the OC

After awarding R1 her base, I hope!

x-tremeump Thu Mar 01, 2012 04:19pm

Xtreamump

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 829166)
After awarding R1 her base, I hope!

At the TOP 1B was occupied. less than 2 outs.

Andy Thu Mar 01, 2012 04:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreamump (Post 829169)

Correct....you have a thrown ball that went out of play...what are you going to do with R1?

MD Longhorn Thu Mar 01, 2012 05:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreamump (Post 829169)

Your point?

EsqUmp Thu Mar 01, 2012 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpire george (Post 829131)
No outs, No one on base.
F2 throws ball to F3.

I'd probably have an ejection before I'd start quoting the rule book to "correct" the situation.

Based upon actual rules, I would cite 6-7-B. "The catcher shall return the ball directly to the pitcher after each pitch, except after a strikeout, a put out or an attempted put out made by the catcher.

While the put out wasn't actually possible, it was "attempted." Plus, if the batter thought it was a strikeout, who could fault the catcher?

With that said, "We're playing ball coach. Get back in the dugout" should resolve the issue without any need for references.

umpire george Thu Mar 01, 2012 08:12pm

The OC requests an explanation on why not ball 4.
Other than the reasons given above, which as of right now are pretty much opinion, is there anything in the ASA rule book that would confirm it is indeed not ball 4?

EsqUmp Thu Mar 01, 2012 08:18pm

Based upon actual rules, I would cite 6-7-B. "The catcher shall return the ball directly to the pitcher after each pitch, except after a strikeout, a put out or an attempted put out made by the catcher.

While the put out wasn't actually possible, it was "attempted."

BretMan Thu Mar 01, 2012 08:37pm

Sometimes, basing a ruling on the "spirit and intent" of a rule can be a slippery slope. We weren't there when the rule was written and we didn't speak to the people that wrote it. How certain can we be that we truly know the "intent" of the authors?

But on this one, I'd be confident that neither the spirit nor the intent of the rule was broken. The catcher not returning the ball directly to the pitcher is, I believe, intended to prevent unecessary delays in the game. The catcher wasn't delaying the game- the batter was by running when she shouldn't have!

Calling a ball here would be on overly officious technicality. But if you really want to get technical...

There is a list of times when a batter may leave the batter's box between pitches. If she leaves when not entitled to, the umpire may issue a penalty strike. Yes, one of the exceptions when a batter may leave the box between pitches is "on a swing".

But running all the way down to first base is not, in itself, "a swing"! It is a separate action and one not exempted from the "penalty strike" rule. The rule says that the umpire may rule a strike if the batter delays the game for any other reason than one of the listed exemptions.

Tell the coach that you accessed the penalty strike before the catcher threw the ball, so his batter was already out.

Is that technical enough for ya? :D

(Disclaimer: The above is not an official interpretation published by any sanctioning body I'm aware of.)

x-tremeump Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:27pm

xtreamump

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 829181)
Correct....you have a thrown ball that went out of play...what are you going to do with R1?

I was excited that I could get in on a discussion that I forgot about R1, of coarse she would get her dead ball award. I was all excited about the BR. It is going to take a while but I am not giving up.

x-tremeump Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:30pm

xtreamump

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 829185)
Your point?

My point was do not Over Officiate or be a Jerk. "OOJ" Trying hard to fit in.

MD Longhorn Fri Mar 02, 2012 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpire george (Post 829211)
The OC requests an explanation on why not ball 4.
Other than the reasons given above, which as of right now are pretty much opinion, is there anything in the ASA rule book that would confirm it is indeed not ball 4?

Tell Jimpiano we said hey. You've already been answered.

MD Longhorn Fri Mar 02, 2012 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreamump (Post 829234)
My point was do not Over Officiate or be a Jerk. "OOJ" Trying hard to fit in.

It is not overofficious to award R1 a base when the ball goes out of play, depriving said runner of the ability to advance when the ball is thrown away.