The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
There is a blurred line between "preventative officiating" and "coaching."
Yes.

Quote:
Let the screw up and maybe a few more of them will be humbled a bit.
No.

Quote:
They think we screw up all the time.
Generalization from a specific.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
If a coach reports a change which is not allowed, it is my responsibility to reject it. That is part of why changes are reported.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire12 View Post
no, it isnt
Actually, yes, it is.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
actually, no it isnt. there are provisions that address coaching errors. i may try to prod them in the right direction but im not there to give favor to either coach
There are rules regarding coaching errors, but if a coach tries to give me an illegal substitute, I'm going to head it off at the pass before it becomes a big fustercluck.

That's something you can and should prevent.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i agree there is something you 'can' do. i dont agree there is something 'should' do. it certainly cant become a fustercluck if you know how how address the error. its not rocket science
So then what would you do if given an illegal substitution?

If you're just going to sit back and watch the fustercluck begin, then you're just there to collect a paycheck.

Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
that's your perspective and assumption. i would certainly ask if he's sure he wants to do that, however im not there babysit or coddle the coaches. they are supposed to know the rules as i am. again, its only a fustercluck if your'e one those ' scratch you head with a pencil and mutter oh geez now what?' kind of umpires. i sir. am not. im prepared to handle any situation that arrises
So you're saying that you wouldn't inform the coach that what s/he's asking to do is not legal?

And yes, that is my perspective and my not-so-humble opinion. I won't go out of my way to save a coach from him/herself, but I also won't let this happen. That's a fustercluck that never ends well.

Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i think you just quoted me as to what i'm saying. if you know it never ends well, it must have happened to you. how did you let that happen? also, why didnt you know how to handle it when it did happen?
Actually, it hasn't happened to me, but thanks for asking.

Back to my question to you.

Yes or no: you're saying that you wouldn't inform the coach that what s/he is asking to do is illegal? If what you're saying is "no," then how do you handle it?

Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
well, if it never happened to you how do you know it never ends well?...again, if you would read my responses before reposting my quote you would see how i would handle it. i explained that to you already
I have read everything you typed. You haven't said anything at all, and you're dodging the question.

Yes or no: would you inform the coach that what s/he is asking to do is illegal?

Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
nor have you...how do you know it never ends well? it can only not end well if you dont know how to deal with it
Because I don't watch just my games.

Your turn to answer my question with a yes or no answer.

Quote:
let me help you...this is my partial quote that you reposted

" i would certainly ask if he's sure he wants to do that"
This isn't answering the question, nor is it informing the coach that s/he's about to do something illegal. You're only confirming that they're sure that they want to enter that particular player into the game, nothing more. They MIGHT get the hint, but in all likelihood, they won't.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Mon Feb 13, 2012 at 02:29pm.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i will respond to a question but i will not offer coaching advice
So in other words, your answer is "no." Just come out and say it. "No."

Don't know why you have to be so vague about it.

Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
geez,,how much clearer can i make it to you?..no, i would not offer that information
That's how you make it clear. You kept dodging the question.

I agree that we should not be in the business of coaching. We're not coaches, we're umpires.

However, I completely disagree that we should not inform the coach that what they are about to do is illegal. This falls into the category of "preventative umpiring," and there is absolutely nothing wrong with preventing a coach from willfully violating the rules of the game. This isn't coaching, this is umpiring.

"Baker has already re-entered the game once before, coach. You can't re-enter him a second time. Please give me someone else, coach."

Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i certainly respect your perspective and the way you would handle this situation. i just have a different opinion on what constitutes coaching and what doesnt. thats all there is to it. i just feel it gives favor to one over the other and takes away equity.
And I think that by allowing this to take place, you are knowingly permitting said inequity.

Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
i certainly respect your perspective and the way you would handle this situation. i just have a different opinion on what constitutes coaching and what doesnt. thats all there is to it. i just feel it gives favor to one over the other and takes away equity.
What he did was knowingly let one team intentionally break the rules in the hope that the other team would catch the cheating, call them on it so he can dump players and probably a coach.

So, when the first coach is breaking the rules and the second coach is either too distracted or rule knowledge lacking, he will allow the first team to intentionally cheat.

None of that should have to happen.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
What he did was knowingly let one team intentionally break the rules in the hope that the other team would catch the cheating, call them on it so he can dump players and probably a coach.

So, when the first coach is breaking the rules and the second coach is either too distracted or rule knowledge lacking, he will allow the first team to intentionally cheat.

None of that should have to happen.
Which, to me, is taking the path of least resistance. Rather than confront the coach who is (knowingly or unknowingly) attempting to cheat, they're hoping the opposing team won't catch the illegal re-entry.

Head it off at the pass, keep the integrity of the game. That's our job.

Old Mon Feb 13, 2012, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Have you perhaps run this one up the flagpole? I suspect your association / state / whatever doesn't want you failing to handle this easily defusable situation.

I don't believe this pertains to college, but at high school and above, across multiple sports and levels, the general protocol is to prevent a disqualifiable offense if possible - and the OP certainly not only applies, but is often the example used to illustrate this point.

West Houston Mike