The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 19, 2000, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Tsmokie
1st base is occupied with less than 2 outs and the catcher drops the 3rd strike. The batter runs down towards first base and the runner on 1st runs towards second. The batter draws a throw to first base. In Federation is this considered interference? I remember the rule being changed a couple of years ago that it was not considered interference, but I can't find it in the book. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mon Mar 20, 2000, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Tsmokie
Thanks Max, in this case the batter just is attempting to run to first after being declared out. The only interference would be if she drew a throw. I did some more checking around and what I found was that I was getting it confused with the old ASA rule. It was only in the book for one year (97). I did find that I called the situation correctly, if she draws the throw from the catcher after being put out in this situation, it is NOT interference. It is the catchers fault for not paying attention is the way I understand it. Thanks again for the reply.
Old Mon Mar 20, 2000, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

You can call the runner on first out if you consider the actions of the batter interference. Rule 7-3-5 "A batter shall not interfere with the catcher's fielding or throwing ..., by making any other movement which hinders action at home or the catcher's attempt to play on a runner" The penalty leads you to Rule 8-4-2h if it is a dropped third strike, and it states " being put out is prevented by an illegal act by anyone connected with the team." But the key is that the umpire must determine that interference occured. Then you have to sell it.