The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

When an infield fly is called, and a runner attempts to tag, when can they leave the base? Is it when the ump calls it or when the fielder catches it? Also do they need to tag up if the ball is not caught?

Thanks all. This is a great forum for discussion.
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rafking
When an infield fly is called, and a runner attempts to tag, when can they leave the base? Is it when the ump calls it or when the fielder catches it? Also do they need to tag up if the ball is not caught?

Thanks all. This is a great forum for discussion.
rafking,

Number one, welcome to the board. Hope you enjoy the discussions.

Tagging is required only on a caught fly ball. Under any of these circumstances, the runner may disengage the bag upon any defender's first contact with the ball.

Old Wed May 21, 2003, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for the answer and the welcome. I am on my second year of umpiring in Babe Ruth leagues.
Old Wed May 21, 2003, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rafking
Thank you for the answer and the welcome. I am on my second year of umpiring in Babe Ruth leagues.
Great! As you can see from reading the post, it is often wise to offer the game's sanctioning body (ASA, NCAA, NFHS, Dixie, USSSA, NSA, LL, Babe Ruth, etc.) under which a question or reply is posed.

I didn't think it was necessary above as I believe that would be the response in all case, but I guess I could have qualified it.

Old Wed May 21, 2003, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome, rafking!

Adding to what Mike said...

Remember, the infield fly is just like any other fly ball in all respects except for one: the force is removed because the batter is out. Other than that, it is the same, and the runners obligations and options are the same. They just are not forced to advance if the ball is not caught.