The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I gained a new respect for all you umpires who travel in your daily umpiring duties.........

I got transfered to another office last summer that put me 30 miles from my home...........I knew that I would have to look at my umpiring schedule closely to plan my time.........but WOW.........I did not realize the difficulty involved.........

In the past I could always count on my weekday games being close to my house and having time to not have to break my neck in getting to a game I was scheduled for............I had time to run to the house.....change.......grab my gear......and go.....

Weekend tournaments............easy to plan for.........I could always schedule my time around them........(BTG.....Before Teenage Girls.........grin)

This past summer.......I took a new job assignment that had me scrambling every night I was scheduled to umpire this year........

My car became my mobile umpiring changing room.........

I tried to emulate Glen's system that he uses (which is awesome).........but there was always other crap that had to be in the car also........so I wound up just throwing all my junk in the back seat and hoping for the best........

I had my final weeknight games last night and just finished cleaning my car out and I found some stuff I had not seen since February.........grin

I know my daughters will be grateful that they will not have to shove a gear bag or chest protector out of the way to get a comfortable seat.........

Maybe I need to get a van like Steve has.........instead of a Taurus.............

For you guys that travel for every game you call.......my hats off to you...........I called for a long time never having to travel more than 10 miles from my house..........(other than tourneys and HS ball)......and never knew how good I had it..........

BTW.......to Glen.......I was selected to the 14U ASA State in Beaumont.......you gonna be there?

Joel
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Joel,

That's good news. Yes, it has been mentioned...

However, there are a lot of politics going on in this area
right now, soooo still awaiting confirmation. Certainly
hope so and that we get paired up.

BTW, I will be back at BBUSA this weekend, doing a USSSA
thing. We have a state in that also this year.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri May 16, 2003, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

I jokingly refer to my truck as my "Rolling Lockerroom" during the spring. I remove my back bench seat to give me more room for my stuff. My clothes stay hung up on my garment rack, gear bag in back, and whatever else I need is right there including a binder with all travel directions, hotel info, phone numbers, game times and partners.

The wife's car isn't as bad as my truck since she doesn't work as many weekday games but it to gets pretty bad.

After our 4 week vacation, my truck will once again transform into my "Rolling Lockerroom" to accomodate our summer tournaments.

Old Fri May 16, 2003, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Welcome to my world, Joel.

From February through at least July, I have my Caravan packed with gear, uniforms..etc. They stay there, except to be cleaned and laundered. Already, since Febraury, I have racked up 5K on the van's odometer, and its primary usage is as an umpire vehicle now that the kids are pretty much grown. There are only three high schools that our association calls that are within 25 miles of my house, and I rarely call for any of them. Most of the schools that I work are at least 50 miles away, some as much as 80. Even the rec league ball that I am calling this year is 30 miles away. And of course, all of the weekend tournaments are way south of me in the Dallas Metroplex area. The closest of those is 50 miles south down 75.

If I didn't enjoy it so much....

Scott
Old Fri May 16, 2003, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Hey, Joel... welcome back... Where've ya been!
Old Fri May 16, 2003, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Hey, Joel... welcome back... Where've ya been!
Obviously doing quite a bit of driving!

Scott