View Single Post
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I gained a new respect for all you umpires who travel in your daily umpiring duties.........

I got transfered to another office last summer that put me 30 miles from my home...........I knew that I would have to look at my umpiring schedule closely to plan my time.........but WOW.........I did not realize the difficulty involved.........

In the past I could always count on my weekday games being close to my house and having time to not have to break my neck in getting to a game I was scheduled for............I had time to run to the house.....change.......grab my gear......and go.....

Weekend tournaments............easy to plan for.........I could always schedule my time around them........(BTG.....Before Teenage Girls.........grin)

This past summer.......I took a new job assignment that had me scrambling every night I was scheduled to umpire this year........

My car became my mobile umpiring changing room.........

I tried to emulate Glen's system that he uses (which is awesome).........but there was always other crap that had to be in the car also........so I wound up just throwing all my junk in the back seat and hoping for the best........

I had my final weeknight games last night and just finished cleaning my car out and I found some stuff I had not seen since February.........grin

I know my daughters will be grateful that they will not have to shove a gear bag or chest protector out of the way to get a comfortable seat.........

Maybe I need to get a van like Steve has.........instead of a Taurus.............

For you guys that travel for every game you call.......my hats off to you...........I called for a long time never having to travel more than 10 miles from my house..........(other than tourneys and HS ball)......and never knew how good I had it..........

BTW.......to Glen.......I was selected to the 14U ASA State in Beaumont.......you gonna be there?

Joel