The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

My granddaughter, a H.S. JV player, will be umpiring Rec League again. This summer she will be working the plate for 13-15 SB FP. The League supplies a counter, mask, and pillow. Most of the kids that umpire wear shorts and tennis shoes and stand behind the catcher (and duck)! I want to teach her to be a good umpire. While she is good enough to play varsity the next two years, she won’t be going to college on ball skills. But she can earn some good money umpiring in her college years.

If you are going to ump in the slot you need good equipment. But I am not willing to fork over several hundred dollars until I know that she will be serious. So I am looking for used equipment to fit a girl 16, 5’3”, 115 lbs. I will pay a fair price plus freight. Please e-mail me at [email protected].

WMB

Old Thu May 15, 2003, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
The League supplies a counter, mask, and pillow.

A pillow? What the heck is that for? In case you get tired between games?

Actually though, I agree wholeheartedly with your approach on teacher her the correct way to umpire. I think that all rec leagues should require umpires to attend clinics. It serves both the umpire and the league in the long run.

Scott