The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

FED Varsity, R1 on 2B, you are BU in "C". A lot of movement from 2B on the pitch; you think that she must have left early, but you didn't see it clearly, so no call. You decide to move a few steps to get a better angle for the next pitch.

Before you can do that, a loud-mouthed fan bellows out "You gotta call that Blue!!! She was off by 2 steps!!

On the next pitch, if R1 leaves (a) slightly early, or (b) leaves blatantly early - will you call her out?

WMB
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
It is really frustrating when you have to make a call, and then one team will say you let the spectators or other team make the call. None of us can say we are not subconsciously influenced by what happens around us, but we certainly should call what we see and take the consequences. Hopefully, we would make the call regardless, as long as we really saw it. Of course, if the spec said 2 steps, it was probably 2 inches. It's too late for whatever was missed on the previous pitch, so go forward with a clean slate.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

A FYC (or in this case, maybe a FYNC) against a fan?

Hmmm...

Best to ignore it, but on that "slightly early" situation, ya know, ya can't guess an out!

Or, you could warn the runner! (Sounds like an eteamz thread!)
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Call it

I know, I know. Others have complained about my willingness to coach players. But...

For this particular scenario, I would definitely say to the runner "Don't be off too soon."

At that point, if she was off early, I would call it. And when the coach whined, I could say, "I talked to her, Coach. And I told her I was watching for an early leadoff."

Just because the fans get to see the plays also, doesn't mean they are influencing me or my calls... nor does it mean that I shouldn't make a call just because a fan also saw the same violation. The rules must be enforced equally for both teams.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
A FYC (or in this case, maybe a FYNC) against a fan?

Hmmm...

Best to ignore it, but on that "slightly early" situation, ya know, ya can't guess an out!

Or, you could warn the runner! (Sounds like an eteamz thread!)
Dang, Tom...you beat me to it!

As I said "over there"...if I think that she may have left early, I will say something to her and watch a little closer next time. If I see it, I call it!

Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 12:13pm
In Time Out

Lightbulb

The fan or coach won't affect my call, but they might affect the next one. By that I DO NOT mean a makeup call.

But if I'm a little uncomfortable about how well I saw something, comments, if they seem reasonable, might just confirm my thought to adjust my positioning a little to get a better look next time. Always a YHTBT, but some coaches and fans do know the game, and sometimes the best view of a given call is from the stands.

To me, it is just good umpiring (or refereeing, for that matter, in other sports) to use all senses to try to detect possible flaws and work to improve myself. You eat your mistakes, but you also try to learn and not repeat them. And certainly not deny to yourself that you ever might be wrong.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes all you have to do is stare at the player and make sure she notices, right after the fan or coach yells. I remember a game when I apparently kept the pitcher legal by clearing my throat and making eye contact each time she started to stray.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 04:21pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Pretend the fan wasn't there.

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichiganBlue
FED Varsity, R1 on 2B, you are BU in "C". A lot of movement from 2B on the pitch; you think that she must have left early, but you didn't see it clearly, so no call. You decide to move a few steps to get a better angle for the next pitch.

Before you can do that, a loud-mouthed fan bellows out "You gotta call that Blue!!! She was off by 2 steps!!

On the next pitch, if R1 leaves (a) slightly early, or (b) leaves blatantly early - will you call her out?

WMB

WMB,
Yeah, that's a tough one, but we earned it. We weren't in a good position the first time. We suck it up. That's why we get the big buck$.

If the fan had not yelled (...the fan was not even there):
We weren't sure, so we adjust.
We see from our new position that she left early.
We call her out.

Forget the fan.
See the play.
Call the play.

mick

An FYC may have a place in the game, but I like to keep it in my pouch.

Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Mick.

See a leave early.....call it.
See an illegal pitch....call it.

During most games you will hear fans saying, "come on blue,
F1's illegal."
"R1 is leaving early."

I have found that if a player left early, and you by your position
were unsure, adjust and get another look. Usually, pretty high odds,
they will do the same again.

The ones I have learned to hate or the umpire base coaches.
Giving the safe sign as soon as they see a play. Naturally if is
close and they the coach, are correct and you call it, then the other
coach always says, "did 1st base coach make that call for you blue?"
Had that last nite in a playoff game on a banger at 1B. Told the coach
"No unless he is a ventrioquist." However, she did admit it was a good
call when she came out next 1/2 inning.

glen

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Dealing with the umpire base coaches, the first time it happens I tell them I can make the call without your help-thank you. Never have had another problem the rest of the day with them. In terms with an illegal pitch if a coach mentions it I will usually not call it the next time but the second time. Just a tidbit I picked up at a clinic from a college umpire just to prevent anyone thinking that the coach can influence my call by mentioning it. In regard to leaving early and it is mentioned by a fan, I would let the runner know I am watching them but I would still be hesitant if it was close to call it on the next play but not on the second play for the same reason not anyone to think they could get a call for mentioning it. If it was blantant I would have to call it. Just MHO.

Carol Stream, Illinois
NFHS
ASA
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

I believe no answer at all is better, as if they don't exist, and sooner or later they realize they don't, in terms of influencing the call. The "I can make the call without your help-thank you" or any other comment usually generates a response, possibly one you have to deal with.

If you consciously position yourself to have a view of the pitcher, runners and batter; then no adjustment (admitting wrong position) is needed. Try being on the opposite side of the infielder from the runner and being far enough back to see all three without moving your eyes or head. It's somewhat like being on the opposite side of the base line from the ball. With more than one runner, base it on the lead and then move back to see the other(s). For this example, stand far enough to your right that the SS doesn't block your view of the pitcher and face slightly to your left so that the panorama you see starts at 2B on the left and ends just behind the PU on the right. You will also be able to see F4 that way and F8 if she comes to the base. Don't move during the pitch, just let your eyes, optic nerve and brain absorb what happens.