The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 20, 2003, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA - An unreported player #11 pinch hits gets a single and the coach wants to put the starter back in #15. At this point the defensive coach gets wind of the unreported player so we have an out. The next defensive inning the coach puts in #23 to play defense. My question is this. Was #15 back in the game? She was actually standing on first base when #11 was called out for not reporting. The coach wanted to re-enter her for #23 later and I would not let her.
Old Sun Apr 20, 2003, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Rachel

1. If the coach in violation informs the plate umpire before the offend-ed team’s challenge, there is no penalty regardless of the length of time the unreported player was in the game. The unreported player shall be declared officially in the game.

I believe the above statement from the NCAA rule book covers your situation BUT if the defensive coach would have informed you 1st then the unreported sub #11 is called out and considered to have been in the game so it would be a re-entry for the coach to put #15 back into the game

Hope this helps

Don
Old Sun Apr 20, 2003, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

See the Chart in Appendix A(I think????) of the NCAA Rule Book.

Simply put, if the offending team catches the mistake then all plays stand and the player is officially in the game.

If the Offended team catches the mistake BEFORE a pitch is thrown, then we have an OUT, All Plays are nullified and the player is in the game.

If the Offended team catches the mistake AFTER a pitch is thrown, then we have an OUT, ALL PLAYS STAND and the player is in the game.

I actually had this happen to me this past weekend in a D1 Conference Series which resulted in an Out and more importantly a run being taken off of the board.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2003, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel
NCAA - An unreported player #11 pinch hits gets a single and the coach wants to put the starter back in #15. At this point the defensive coach gets wind of the unreported player so we have an out. The next defensive inning the coach puts in #23 to play defense. My question is this. Was #15 back in the game? She was actually standing on first base when #11 was called out for not reporting. The coach wanted to re-enter her for #23 later and I would not let her.
Q. Was #15 back in the game? A. Maybe.

Sub #11 was in the game. Starter #15 reentered if the caoch reported #15 after the #11 pinch hit before the defensive appeal. If the out was the third out and #23 entered to play defense before any other plays, then #23 was a sub for #11 and #15 can still reenter. If the out was not the third out and #11 stayed in the game, then #15 can still reenter as long as #15 is not reported as a reentry after #11 completed a turn at bat (in this case, the pinch hit). If #15 actually reentered after the #11 pinch hit, then #15's reentry is used because #11 was officially in the game and #15 can not reenter again after #23 replaces her (#15).

In NFHS, the sub #11 comes out of the game on the appeal and must be replaced. The reentry of #15 would still depend on the outs, but some sub or reentry must be made at the time of the DQ.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2003, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys you helped. The question is what came first. The offensive coach saying "pinch hit #11 and re-entry #15" or the defensive coach saying "Blue, did #11 report?".

The strange thing is is that I had had them the game before and #11 was in the line up. So when the PA said "now batting #11" I thought she was already in the game. Had he said "now batting for #15, #11" I could have prevented the whole thing.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2003, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel
... snip ... The question is what came first. The offensive coach saying "pinch hit #11 and re-entry #15" or the defensive coach saying "Blue, did #11 report?".
... snip ...
The coach (or caoch) can't say "pinch hit #11 and re-entry #15" all at one time. The "re-entry #15" has to wait until after #11 is in and #15 is returning.