The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
2 13-15 year old games on Saturday, once again paired with a partner that I assumed was one of the better umps, all I ever see him scheduled for are the top 2 age groups. First game, he has the plate. Batter hits the ball down into the batters box, and it then rolls fair. Partner calls foul ball, I assume it hit her on the foot. Between innings, the coach is asking why he called it foul, and I overhear my partner tell him, "It was fould because it hit the ground in foul territory first". Oook.

2nd game, I have the plate. Visitors up by 10 and at bat. We have a 15 after 5 rule. R1 on 1st, batter hits one to the fence. Partner never moves from B. I stay at the plate for a play there, see the runner touch home, look up to watch the action at 3rd, and the 3rd baseman plays it perfectly, catches the ball, drops to a knee to block the bag, and applies the tag. From B I hear "SAFE!!". Collective groan from the crowd.

I call time and go talk to him quietly, tell him that she never touched the base. He says he won't change his call because he wants the visitors to get their 5 runs to end the game early.

I'm dumbfounded.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlabamaBlue
2 13-15 year old games on Saturday, once again paired with a partner that I assumed was one of the better umps, all I ever see him scheduled for are the top 2 age groups. First game, he has the plate. Batter hits the ball down into the batters box, and it then rolls fair. Partner calls foul ball, I assume it hit her on the foot. Between innings, the coach is asking why he called it foul, and I overhear my partner tell him, "It was fould because it hit the ground in foul territory first". Oook.

2nd game, I have the plate. Visitors up by 10 and at bat. We have a 15 after 5 rule. R1 on 1st, batter hits one to the fence. Partner never moves from B. I stay at the plate for a play there, see the runner touch home, look up to watch the action at 3rd, and the 3rd baseman plays it perfectly, catches the ball, drops to a knee to block the bag, and applies the tag. From B I hear "SAFE!!". Collective groan from the crowd.

I call time and go talk to him quietly, tell him that she never touched the base. He says he won't change his call because he wants the visitors to get their 5 runs to end the game early.

I'm dumbfounded.
Better to be dumbfounded than found to be dumb like your partner.

Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Why not?

I can't wait to read a recap when we work together! You need to send a code so I know who your partner was. Something like ABZ KO with the KO being the initials of your partner. I had a 11-12 year old game with a pitcher that leaped nearly every pitch and a first year umpire on the bases. We discuss the reason it was illegal and she proceeded to call at least 30 illegal pitches throughout the game. The wild part was the manager and coaches knew she was pitching illegal and wanted to break her of the "leaping" habit. Even with the illegal pitches, we completed a 6 inning 4-1 game under the time limit! It was so surreal. After the game, the losing team thanked us for aiding in their task of breaking their pitcher's bad habit.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Heh, ABZ WM

He calls almost exclusively Belles. This weeks schedule, that's all he has. I'm sure when the Debs start playing, he'll have them too.

Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Or, if you have last week's schedule still, I was on Prattville field 2, replacing Snow.

Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

AlabamaBlue,

I think you need to check your source... this is twice you have come to us with a supposedly "good partner" that has proved heinous and missing the most fundamental of fundamentals.

Maybe some older players might improve your situation and partner capabilities. I hope it gets better
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Well, the source was myself judging by the level of games the umps were assigned on a regular basis, so nobody ever told me they were good.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Your Partner

AB,

I know your partner very well. I've work YMCA football games and Dixie games with him in the past. He is a referee in one of the HS association in town, a referee in the SWAC, and calls HS softball. During Y games, he stands in the middle of the field, doesn't run, gives half *** signals, and collects his game fees. He may be a great HS softball umpire (I've never seen him work) but I would be surprised if he has ever read the Dixie rulebook. He assumes that the rules are the same. He doesn't seem to enjoy youth sports and just goes through the motions to get through the game. It can be very disheartening for new officials that enjoy the game and try to learn from experienced officials.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Wow, hard to believe he's a referee in HS, let alone the SWAC. Blows my mind.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

I spoke too soon.

Well AB,

I got a call this morning from the assignor. I'm working a doubleheader behind the plate with MC tonight. I hope you trained her well the other night. Wish me luck!
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Hehehe, have fun. I don't know where/who I'm with tonight. Supposed to be in P'Ville for a couple Angels with Steele, but Joel called and said he's got an older set of games for me, he just didn't know where.

Can't say I'm unhappy about not having to drive to P'Ville and work with Steele...
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Oooh boy. Just got the call, I'm at National for a coach-pitch darlings and a ponytail. The ponytail is with a league guy calling the bases.

Joel hates me.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Unhappy enough, already

If you two want to have a personal gripe exchange and put down other officials, please take it off line.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Cecil, grow up. If you don't want to read it, DON'T CLICK IT.

Is it really that hard?
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
1)
2) I would gladly not click topics labeled junk, or those authored by non-contributing members, but the "Next Thread" function does not have that option and there is also no preview function
3) A fine one to talk about growing up:
"Hehehe, have fun. I don't know where/who I'm with tonight. Supposed to be in P'Ville for a couple Angels with Steele, but Joel called and said he's got an older set of games for me, he just didn't know where.

Can't say I'm unhappy about not having to drive to P'Ville and work with Steele...

Oooh boy. Just got the call, I'm at National for a coach-pitch darlings and a ponytail. The ponytail is with a league guy calling the bases.

Joel hates me.

"

[Edited by CecilOne on Apr 17th, 2003 at 09:28 AM]