The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 05, 2003, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

High school fastpitch.Runners 1st and 2nd. One out. Pitcher throws 1st pitch, called ball.Both baserunners take average lead with pitch, maybe 6 feet for R1 and more like 10 feet for R2. Once ball is caught by catcher, both runners turn to go back to bases.Right-handed batter steps out with 1 foot to look for sign and takes short practice swing. Catcher, instead of returning ball to pitcher,goes behind batter like she thinks R2 is going to steal 3rd, and raised the ball as if to throw. Batters practice swing knocks ball out of catchers hand, but ball only rolls a few feet and no runners advance or attempt to advance. Field umpire says batter interfered with catcher's opportunity to make play on R2 and calls R2 out. Plate and field umpire discuss play and uphold decision. At-bat continues with 1 ball count, runner still at first and now 2 outs. Is this correct? Since R2 was nearly back to 2nd and couldn't have been picked, and neither runner advanced on play, how was defense harmed?
Old Sat Apr 05, 2003, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I don't think either factor in the last sentence (Since R2 was nearly back to 2nd and couldn't have been picked, and neither runner advanced on play, how was defense harmed?) matter as to whether the batter interfered with the play. Whether there was a possibility of play usually affects the call. But, you have to assume that the catcher might have thrown to 2nd and that R2 might fall down, or the throw to either base is missed causing R2 to try for 3rd, etc., etc. That would make the call interference.
However, it's the batter that would be out, not the runner and both runners stay where they were.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2003, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

I think that the umpire needs to make a judgement call here. Was the catcher actually going to throw the ball when it was knocked from her hand? In order for me to call interference on the batter, the catcher has to make a throw. If I think the catcher is not going to throw, just hold the ball up in a throwing motion to "encourage" the runners to return to their bases, I'm not likely to call interference. Let me say that if the runners try to advance after seeing the ball knocked away from the catcher, then I've got an interference call. I agree that if interference is called in this situation, the batter is out and the runners return to their previous bases.

Ok, let me know if I'm off base here in my interpretation.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2003, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
I think that the umpire needs to make a judgement call here. Was the catcher actually going to throw the ball when it was knocked from her hand? In order for me to call interference on the batter, the catcher has to make a throw. If I think the catcher is not going to throw, just hold the ball up in a throwing motion to "encourage" the runners to return to their bases, I'm not likely to call interference. Let me say that if the runners try to advance after seeing the ball knocked away from the catcher, then I've got an interference call. I agree that if interference is called in this situation, the batter is out and the runners return to their previous bases.

Ok, let me know if I'm off base here in my interpretation.
Andy,
I think that you are "right on" in your logic. Good call!