The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

An umpiring colleague of mine asked me to post this and get some feedback. He does not have internet access so I told him that I could find the answer here.

Situation:
High School Varsity game

Bottom of the 1st inning-

The leadoff batter comes up to the plate and asks for time to "dig in".The PU gives her "time" and proceeds to wait until she is done. The girl steps into the box and the PU yells "Dead Ball!Strike one on the batter!" The coach comes unglued and wants to know what she did to warrant the strike. The PU tells the coach that the batter covered up (or erased) the front line of the batters box. The coach says "That's not illegal." The PU said she could only mark out a portion of the line and not the whole thing. The coach asked him where in the rule book the rule was and the PU said "It's in there. Play ball!!"

Now before I go any further, this umpire has been caling for about40 years and has a knack for letting his presence be known at the games he is calling by a)showing up a player that he knows or knows one of their parents b)giving the players gum c)making routine calls into a side show by pointing continuously at the base before making the call.

The coach knew this and told him that he did not have to do this to "announce he was there".From what I understand the coach is going to request that he not call anymore of their games since he gets it inside the players' heads that he is calling the game.

The umpire that requested I post this was the BU in this game and he said he had never heard of the rule but that he was not going to go against his partner.

Can ANYONE tell me where this is is a rulebook (NFHS or ASA) becuase we have spent the morning looking for it.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA, I never saw such a rule in the book, and I know of no case book play that deals with rubbing out the lines of the batter's box. The rule book practically assumes that the lines will be gone at some point in the game, as its instructions to umpires are to give the batter the benefit of the doubt when the lines are gone. I never saw any relevant ruling in Fed, either, but I don't have this year's book.

I suspect that ump just pulled a rule out of thin air, unless he figured he was operating under his broad authority to control the game. Even then, calling a strike is improper; he should simply have ordered the batter not to rub out the line. Theoretically, he could eject her if she ignored his order. However, he can't just make up his own penalty.

If the lines on the box were crucial, the umpire would have to order the lines restored whenever they were not clearly visible.

On the other hand, I think that if a batter tried to wipe out all four borders, I'd tell her to stop doing it.

If a batter really starts playing games to show you up, remember who has the upper hand on a "foot-out-of-the-box" call.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
I seem to remember that the NCAA put in a ruling last year having to do with calling a strike if the batter intentionally wiped out the lines of the box. Does anyone else remember this?

SamC
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, I laugh at the batters that wipe out the lines.

Last year at a tournament, the catcher asked why I was laughing. I told him loud enough for the batter to hear, "He's wiping out his only defense against me ruling him out for stepping out of the box. My batter's box is usually much smaller than the ground crew's."

Batter stopped wiping out the lines and gave me a nervous smile. I told him not to worry, just don't move the feet.

Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

This is known as the, "I'm going to show I'm in charge here" rule. There's no such rule in FED softball. The coach should have protested, instead of fussing with the PU. And also reported the incident to the school AD, who should report this to the umpire association.

Bob
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with bob this ego guy was just trying to show who was boss.I work with a guy who is the best in my assoc. and has 20 plus years and he would not do any of the things this guy did.He is the model for being part of the game not the sideshow!Everytime I watch my friend work I learn something new.It would be nice if all umps could learn we don't have to prove we are in charge because everyone knows it already.We just need to calmly be in control and let the game come to us.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
I seem to remember that the NCAA put in a ruling last year having to do with calling a strike if the batter intentionally wiped out the lines of the box. Does anyone else remember this?

SamC
Yes, I do, but a friend has my NCAA rule book, so cannot
quote you anything.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

"Where's The Rule?

The NCAA is the only organization I am aware of that uses the penalty of a strike on the batter for intentionally rubbing out the lines of the batters bx. (Rule 11, Section 2c) This came about mainly because of the slap hitters who want to run up the box to hit.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

That's an NCAA rule that was introduced 2-3 years ago..............

Not in the FED book that I am aware of......

Joel
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Dang,

Sure glad to see Joel is back...How you been. Sure
I speak for a lot of us, but we have missed you.

glen
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2003, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Glenn Send a message via Yahoo to Glenn
No NFHS rule concerning erasing batter's box lines. NCAA will assess a strike if offense erases lines and a ball if the defense erases lines...if I am not mistaken.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2003, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Glenn,

Welcome aboard .

glen

BTW, reread all the replies and I like Mike's. Bet
that does get the batters attention.
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Pertaining to the thread---

This is the type of umpire that gives us all a bad name. I've seen several like him in my neck of the woods; they make me sick!!!

And.....

Hey Joel!!!

I've missed you!

Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Here is the quote from the NCAA rule book, Rule 2 Section 17. Glenn and GCB get it right. I don't believe it exists in any of the other rules. Under the other rules the umpire just protects the lines by saying "Don't do that."

Lines (Markings)
SECTION 17a. All lines on the playing field shall be marked with chalk or nonburning material that is not injurious to the eyes or skin. Lime or caustic material of any kind is prohibited. All lines must be two to four inches in width. The outside edge of the first and third base lines and their extensions should correspond with the outside edge of first and third base.
Note 1: Lines shall be redrawn at the discretion of the umpire. Every attempt should be made to avoid significantly delaying the game; however, if the lines can be redrawn between innings, the umpire may direct the grounds crew to do so.
Note 2: A batter may not be intentionally walked by erasing lines.
b. A player shall not intentionally remove any lines in the batterÂ’s box or on the field.
EFFECT—A strike shall be called on the batter if the offense intentionally removes the line and a ball shall be called on the batter if the defense intentionally erases a line.

These NCAA rules (.pdf) can be found at:

http://www.ncaa.com/library/rules.html
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Oooops. blcump gets it too!

Rule 11-2c says:

c. The batter shall not intentionally remove any lines in the batterÂ’s box.
Effect—A strike shall be called on the batter.

Note 1: Lines shall be redrawn at the discretion of the umpire. Every attempt should
be made to avoid significantly delaying the game; however, of the lines can be redrawn between innings, the umpire may direct the grounds crew to do so.
Note 2: A batter may not be intentionally walked by erasing lines.