View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA, I never saw such a rule in the book, and I know of no case book play that deals with rubbing out the lines of the batter's box. The rule book practically assumes that the lines will be gone at some point in the game, as its instructions to umpires are to give the batter the benefit of the doubt when the lines are gone. I never saw any relevant ruling in Fed, either, but I don't have this year's book.

I suspect that ump just pulled a rule out of thin air, unless he figured he was operating under his broad authority to control the game. Even then, calling a strike is improper; he should simply have ordered the batter not to rub out the line. Theoretically, he could eject her if she ignored his order. However, he can't just make up his own penalty.

If the lines on the box were crucial, the umpire would have to order the lines restored whenever they were not clearly visible.

On the other hand, I think that if a batter tried to wipe out all four borders, I'd tell her to stop doing it.

If a batter really starts playing games to show you up, remember who has the upper hand on a "foot-out-of-the-box" call.