The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

For you East Coasters

Y'all are in our thoughts along the Gulf Coast. As a veteran of many storms, I have an idea what y'all are going through.

Although the wind might not be as bad as predicted, it is looking like inland areas are going to get a bunch of rain (just as bad and maybe worse).

Good luck again.

Joel
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Joel. Wife and I are safe and sound here. We're far enough inland that my only complaint is that my 3 FP games were canceled this morning.

Hope everyone else makes it through just as smoothly.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
Y'all are in our thoughts along the Gulf Coast. As a veteran of many storms, I have an idea what y'all are going through.

Although the wind might not be as bad as predicted, it is looking like inland areas are going to get a bunch of rain (just as bad and maybe worse).

Good luck again.

Joel
Thank you.
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Good luck from Florida..
Hang in there.
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Just a little rain and wind and, oh yeah, the NHC has added tornados to the possibilities of issues along with the 6-8 foot storm surges.

Unlike some others, I do not panic. Been through these before in L.A. If you prepare, it is no big deal if you aren't literally on the coast. But I don't have that problem

The people who are really gonna take a hit, even though Irene will have almost diminished to a Cat 1 by that time, is Long Island, especially JFK which is right in the path of the eye. They've already shut down all the mass transit in the city and on the island.
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Up here in land-locked Ohio, my daughter is playing host to ELEVEN displaced North Carolinians from the coast (all members of her husbands family).
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Just a little rain and wind and, oh yeah, the NHC has added tornados to the possibilities of issues along with the 6-8 foot storm surges.

Unlike some others, I do not panic. Been through these before in L.A. If you prepare, it is no big deal if you aren't literally on the coast. But I don't have that problem

The people who are really gonna take a hit, even though Irene will have almost diminished to a Cat 1 by that time, is Long Island, especially JFK which is right in the path of the eye. They've already shut down all the mass transit in the city and on the island.
I don't panic either.......you living in LA know that is only counter productive.......

But....I do know Mike.....when storms downgrade......those damn outer rain bands can be as bad as anything..........I know as small as a state as DE.....you can't be too far inland.....The first death attributed to Hurricane Alicia in 1983 was in Dallas......300 miles from the coast.

I am fairly prepared for strong winds 100+ (been through several with 80+ winds (nobody here gets exicted about them), another with 110, one with 125 and another with 135 mph/although I was a youngster).......but 15-25 inches of rain will really screw you around.

I lost a roof (most tabs gone) with a 90 mph storm......damn near ripped the hood off of my pickup truck.......the hood latch was faulty.......and a storage building got destroyed by a tree falling on it.....funny that the insurance adjuster never mentioned that I had a separate policy on that building and I got squat because I was too young/dumb and naive to ask more questions.......lol. I probably could have sued and won that one......but again.....young/naive/dumb.......

I had some damage during Ike.......110 mph......my Mom did not have a single tab lift on her roof 2 miles away and had no damage other than trees......I had a lot of screen porch damage and some damage to a garage (along with wind leaks).......lost a big pecan and ash (which I should have already cut down)......my back porch got crunched and I was not able to go out to the back yard through that door for awhile.......and was without power for about three weeks. And I also lost my cat.

I cleaned out my fridge and freezers and had some good bbq's in my moms neighborhood for awhile......luckily, we had unseasonably cool weather after Ike and ice was plentiful from FEMA......

I just hope y'all be careful up there.......

Joel

Last edited by Gulf Coast Blue; Sat Aug 27, 2011 at 04:40pm.
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
I am like 70 miles upstate from NYC, and from the NOAA projections, we will be JUST on the edge of the tropical storm area, so will there a load of rain? Yes! Wind? Yes! Damage? good question here. We had 60 mph winds here recently, and everything held.

And it took our Sunday morning idiot league until this AFTERNOON to cancel tomorrows games.....
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yep. That would be me and where I am from. Keep fingers crossed that things work out for the best but it is on its way. My best to those in Rhode Island (KJUmp and friends) and to others in the Tri-State area. #hopeweareprepared #thisblows

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Checking in from Tidewater VA. Hanging in there. Lots of high winds and rain, but so far, not much damage. Keep looking out the window at this big tree in our front yard. So far, only lost branches. Hopefully, that will be the most of it. Luckily, haven't lost power. Lights keep flickering, but that's it. But all in all, hanging in there. Prayers to the rest of you up north, northeast from us.

Serg
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
north east corner of MD

Saturday, August 27
10 pm72° F
Thunderstorms/Wind72° F100%97%
From ENE
24 mph

forecast to peak at 39 mph around 5 AM
heavier rain later tonight as well.
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't panic either.......you living in LA know that is only counter productive.......
A Yankee with a non-Caucasian, non-citizen military wife! Yeah, that went over will in the mid-70's

Quote:
But....I do know Mike.....when storms downgrade......those damn outer rain bands can be as bad as anything..........I know as small as a state as DE.....you can't be too far inland.....The first death attributed to Hurricane Alicia in 1983 was in Dallas......300 miles from the coast.

I am fairly prepared for strong winds 100+ (been through several with 80+ winds (nobody here gets exicted about them), another with 110, one with 125 and another with 135 mph/although I was a youngster).......but 15-25 inches of rain will really screw you around.

I lost a roof (most tabs gone) with a 90 mph storm......damn near ripped the hood off of my pickup truck.......the hood latch was faulty.......and a storage building got destroyed by a tree falling on it.....funny that the insurance adjuster never mentioned that I had a separate policy on that building and I got squat because I was too young/dumb and naive to ask more questions.......lol. I probably could have sued and won that one......but again.....young/naive/dumb.......

I had some damage during Ike.......110 mph......my Mom did not have a single tab lift on her roof 2 miles away and had no damage other than trees......I had a lot of screen porch damage and some damage to a garage (along with wind leaks).......lost a big pecan and ash (which I should have already cut down)......my back porch got crunched and I was not able to go out to the back yard through that door for awhile.......and was without power for about three weeks. And I also lost my cat.

I cleaned out my fridge and freezers and had some good bbq's in my moms neighborhood for awhile......luckily, we had unseasonably cool weather after Ike and ice was plentiful from FEMA......

I just hope y'all be careful up there.......

Joel

Been raining and windy all day. Starting to pick up now. All furniture stacked tied/weighted neatly and in a manner which makes it unlikely the wind will affect it. Remove all gutter covers and anything loose around the house or yard.

Dog, Nola, just came in from doing about 50 laps around the back yard like some wild animal in speed.

My only things that bother me are the Chicken Littles that go into an end-of-the-world mode and just don't use their head and that includes the government folks that don't hesitate to push the panic button, often way too early, without thinking of unnecessary and stressful effects such action cause.
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=IRISHMAFIA;784047]
Dog, Nola, just came in from doing about 50 laps around the back yard like some wild animal in speed.

My only things that bother me are the Chicken Littles that go into an end-of-the-world mode and just don't use their head and that includes the government folks that don't hesitate to push the panic button, often way too early, without thinking of unnecessary and stressful effects such action cause.[/QUOTE]

Dogs and cats will freak sometimes during storms.........I had a Lab and a Yorkie (although, I am pretty sure the Yorkie was hard of hearing) the never bothered with lightening and thunder........my ex had a golden retriever who was the coolest dog ever.....until thunder struck......he would somehow crawl under any bed that he was close to.....and sometimes get stuck........lol

I did lose my cat during our last hurricane.......I still have no idea where she went.......

More lives were lost during the evacuation of Rita that during the storm itself........Houston screwed us all on the coast.......and the mayor at that time cost a bunch of people their lives.

Joel

Last edited by Gulf Coast Blue; Sat Aug 27, 2011 at 09:37pm.
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dogs and cats will freak sometimes during storms
I didn't mean she was freaking out, just that she took the opportunity to run wild in the pouring rain.

She did, my wife says, freak out just before the earthquake this week.

But all the strange stuff we've had around here, tornado, quake and now a hurricane, the governor has called on Gary Sinese to stop by.

He figures with all the strange weather, we need Lt. Dan to go head-to-head with Mother Nature!
Old Sat Aug 27, 2011, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't mean she was freaking out, just that she took the opportunity to run wild in the pouring rain.

She did, my wife says, freak out just before the earthquake this week.

But all the strange stuff we've had around here, tornado, quake and now a hurricane, the governor has called on Gary Sinese to stop by.

He figures with all the strange weather, we need Lt. Dan to go head-to-head with Mother Nature!
The funny thing is that I was telling my wife about a month ago that we're overdue for an earthquake and a hurricane.

Not kidding.

I'll shut my mouth from now on!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.