The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Rule Logic?

Does anyone have any logic as to why rules allow BR/R to overrun 1B, but not 2B or 3B?
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
Does anyone have any logic as to why rules allow BR/R to overrun 1B, but not 2B or 3B?
Cause that's the way they do it in baseball?????
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 04:17pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Cause that's the way they do it in baseball?????

ROFLMAO!!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who said you cannot overrun 2nd or 3rd base? Of course, you can, it's just that you can also be put out.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

This is going really well.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

What do you expect? Not too many of us were around when these rules were invented.

What is the "logic" of having four bases? Why not three or five? How come a pitcher gets to screw up four times (balls) but a batter only gets to three times (strikes). Why can the defense get an out by tagging a base with a foot, but need to touch the runner with the ball? I don't know why any of those are the way they are...they just are.

It's just the convention that evolved as the game evolved. I guess that I can sort of see a logic to it, since plays at first base involve a batter getting on base, while plays at other bases involve a runner advancing the bases, which are kind of two different things.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

We know at least one of "us" was around.
As for 4 bases, you couldn't have a diamond with 3 or 5.
But I can go along with it.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
I'll take a shot at it. A B-R must attain first base at a minimum to become a base runner. Not allowing him to overrun the base would put him at a disadvantage because he would have to slow down. Same logic applies when there are other runners on base - keep things fair for the B-R.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

when base ball (yes, it was spelled with 2 words) was first invented, you could not overrun 1st. they also had a bunch of wierd rules like you can catch the ball off the bounce, 1st, 2nd, 3rd had to play next to the base, the SS would switch sides of the field depending if a LHB was up, any ball that touches fair territory once was fair.

i would only assume that since they realized there were so many ground balls hit, that to give runners a chance they allowed them to overrun 1st.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
What do you expect? Not too many of us were around when these rules were invented.

What is the "logic" of having four bases? Why not three or five? How come a pitcher gets to screw up four times (balls) but a batter only gets to three times (strikes). Why can the defense get an out by tagging a base with a foot, but need to touch the runner with the ball? I don't know why any of those are the way they are...they just are.

It's just the convention that evolved as the game evolved. I guess that I can sort of see a logic to it, since plays at first base involve a batter getting on base, while plays at other bases involve a runner advancing the bases, which are kind of two different things.
Why not five? Some places have a hard enough time making a diamond. Good luck with the pentagon!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We know at least one of "us" was around.
As for 4 bases, you couldn't have a diamond with 3 or 5.
But I can go along with it.
Now you did it. Of course, you can have a five-point diamond.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2011, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr131981 View Post
when base ball (yes, it was spelled with 2 words) was first invented, you could not overrun 1st. they also had a bunch of wierd rules like you can catch the ball off the bounce, 1st, 2nd, 3rd had to play next to the base, the SS would switch sides of the field depending if a LHB was up, any ball that touches fair territory once was fair.

i would only assume that since they realized there were so many ground balls hit, that to give runners a chance they allowed them to overrun 1st.
Actually it was Rounders, one word and you ran base to base (actually, post to post) and maintain contact.

My guess is that when it was stolen....er, evolved into baseball, the rule was changed to allow the BR to proceed at the quickest speed so they could brag to their girlfriends about how fast they are.

Okay, maybe the girlfriend bragging is a bit too much.
Old Fri Aug 26, 2011, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Actually it was Rounders, one word and you ran base to base (actually, post to post) and maintain contact.

My guess is that when it was stolen....er, evolved into baseball, the rule was changed to allow the BR to proceed at the quickest speed so they could brag to their girlfriends about how fast they are.

Okay, maybe the girlfriend bragging is a bit too much.
i was referring to the stolen/evolved initial version of baseball, known in those days as base ball. many places, at least in the north east, have base ball "leagues". ive played exhibition games at several county fairs and a tournament in OH years ago.
Old Fri Aug 26, 2011, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr131981 View Post
i was referring to the stolen/evolved initial version of baseball, known in those days as base ball. many places, at least in the north east, have base ball "leagues". ive played exhibition games at several county fairs and a tournament in OH years ago.
Yes, I'm familiar with Cartwright's Knickerbocker Rules and Regulations .

And people think today's rules are vague and poorly worded

All I can be sure of is that by 1936 the rule had been changed, but I am almost sure that it happened in a manner where a player complained that he was being put out because he had to slow down and some manager thought it would be a great idea if they allowed the BR the opportunity to be safe by giving them an exemption at that base.
Old Fri Aug 26, 2011, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

He also gets an exemption at home.

Probably it comes down to evening up the playing field so that you could get people on base more often. The BR is at a bit of a disadvantage in that he doesn't get any lead off, has a few feet extra to begin with (or has to turn around), and has to switch from thinking about hitting the ball to running in an instant. If you think about how many close plays you get at first given the current situation, think about how many baserunners you'd lose.