The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 23, 2011, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

help with shoes

Hello all, I am just starting my journey in softball umpiring. I need to buy plate shoes and base shoes. I wear a size 9 wide in sneakers (Nike- Monarch style) but sometimes find that size 9 reg fits well. Any help in size recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I live in SW Michigan and would like to try shoes on before I buy.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2011, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Well, there's always Honig's, but they're in Ann Arbor, MI. Not too terribly close to you, is it?

For plate shoes, I've got New Balance 450s. New Balance makes EXCELLENT shoes, and you can't go wrong. If you're between a 9D and a 9 Wide, I'd go with the wides.

As for base shoes, I have 3N2s, but I wear them with orthotics. A lot of guys talk highly of the 3N2s, but for me, the arch support was pretty weak. The orthotics make them much better, but that's just me.

In general, you can't go wrong with New Balance. They're a little bit more in price, but they're worth every penny.

I always shop at the following places for my gear:
Officialgear.com
Honig's Whistle Stop
Ump Attire

I've been very happy with the service from all 3.

Welcome to the blue!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2011, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Let me add this. Many umpire shoes are sized a bit small, so I recommend that, if you cannot try them on in advance, that you order base shoes a half size larger, and plate shoes a full size larger than what you normally wear.

I add orthotics to every umpire shoe; I used to just add Dr. Scholl type cushions, but have learned that orthotics are much better for my feet. I get the generic ones where you stand on a machine at WalMart or Walgreens. After staying on your feet hours on end, your feet will thank you. I also double sock my plate shoes for added comfort; that way you can wear a sock that breathes (even white socks!!) against your foot, with a black or navy sock over the top. Depending on the room left, cushioned socks also help.

Depending on the fit, I also sometimes double sock my base shoes. Same reasoning.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2011, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Tanel - 100% best i ever owned. Like slippers.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2011, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
I wear New Balance 926 Walking shoes on the bases. They are comfortable, but my next pair will have a better tread. My feet over-pronate and they are great for that.

On the bases I wear the NB plate shoes and love them. My first pair was a 10.5 D and my current pair are 11 EE. Much more comfortable. I am a 10.5 but between a D and wide width.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2011, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
Must be in the name since we have the same. What a coincidence, for plate I wear the New Balance 450 for bases 3N2 (also wear orthotics). I love both the shoes. You don't happen to also wear a Pro 9 chest protector do you?
Dave
Actually... Yeah.

And Pro-Nine shinguards.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Tue Aug 23, 2011, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
Well we match on everything except the shin guards.
Dave
We'll just stop right there with the protective equipment.

Old Tue Aug 23, 2011, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Get a room!
Old Tue Aug 23, 2011, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

NCASAUmp

Honigs is about 2 hrs away from my home(Kalamazoo area) so its really not to bad if I can try on shoes. I was at their warehouse earlier this summer and they set me up with the "starter package" for fast pitch. The guys there were very helpful with making sure hat, chest protector, etc.. fit. I didn't even think about shoes at that time. The "boss" at home is already wondering how much I will be investing in equipment, haha. I told her it was like shoes for ladies, you never have enough. Didn't get the laugh i was hoping for..

Thanks all for the information. It is much appreciated.
I am already getting butterflies about doing my first game.

If any one is in the SW Mich area and is doing games this fall i would like to come and watch you work. I can even travel to the east side of the state on the weekends, sister lives in Canton and welcomes the visit from her little brother.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2011, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams3868 View Post
NCASAUmp

Honigs is about 2 hrs away from my home(Kalamazoo area) so its really not to bad if I can try on shoes. I was at their warehouse earlier this summer and they set me up with the "starter package" for fast pitch. The guys there were very helpful with making sure hat, chest protector, etc.. fit. I didn't even think about shoes at that time. The "boss" at home is already wondering how much I will be investing in equipment, haha. I told her it was like shoes for ladies, you never have enough. Didn't get the laugh i was hoping for..

Thanks all for the information. It is much appreciated.
I am already getting butterflies about doing my first game.

If any one is in the SW Mich area and is doing games this fall i would like to come and watch you work. I can even travel to the east side of the state on the weekends, sister lives in Canton and welcomes the visit from her little brother.
Wow... 2 hours for shoes? You'd spend more in gas than shipping if you had to return them!

I told my wife that it would cost about $450-500 for me to get one set of all of my gear, and I was pretty spot-on in my estimate. Fortunately, most of the other stuff I've been using in slow pitch is just fine for fast pitch: belts, cup, compression shorts, etc.