Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 07, 2011, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Cooling Vests

Anyone seen these yet?

UMPIRES TO USE HIGH-TECH COOLING TECHNOLOGY THIS SEASON
SCOTTSDALE, AZ. Representatives from RiteTemp Athletic Products™ attended the Umpire Retreat last week to instruct the 68 professional umpires on the use of their new cooling products.

RTA Officially Cool products were chosen for use in all non-domed stadiums for the 2011 season after being field tested in the 2010 season by select umpires including; Ed Rapuano, Joe West, and Gary Cederstrom.
“I started using OFFICIALLY COOL under my chest protector in the 2010 season and it is amazing. I don’t feel as tired and can better concentrate on the game”, says Rapuano.

The umpires will be using two kinds of cooling products for relief from heat stress. The first is a cooling pad designed for use in the field or underneath a plate umpire’s gear during games. Its unique heat absorbing material (HTF Exotherm®) keeps the umpire’s core temperature in a safe range while improving his mental acuity. The pad lasts about 2 hours (4-5 innings) and can be easily swapped out via a side zipper in the newly redesigned uniform shirt. Spent pads are quickly recharged in a cool environment such as an air-conditioned room or a refrigerator.

The second is a “Heat Stress Recovery Kit”. Several times per year umpires end a game with a trip to the hospital, suffering from the physical effects of heat stress. The Kit, which consists of a cooling seat, cap and vest, will be used post-game in an effort to eliminate these occurrences. It helps the body regain a stable core temperature, normal heart rate, blood pressure and other vital signs in about five minutes.

For more information: www.htfx-inc.com or www.ritetempathletics.com
Old Mon Aug 08, 2011, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

After doing a tournament a few weeks ago where the heat index was over 110 F, and I almost had to take a trip to the hospital because of overheating I have been researching cooling vest's. Thanks for the info.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2011, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Check out Ritetemp athletics. They sell their product through Gerry Davis or Honigs.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2011, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
I bought a cooling / gel seat cushion for my mom to replace the couch throw pillow she has been using in her car for as long as I can remember. I tried it out myself on the way home and I hated it - it felt like I was sitting on a melting block of ice. That said, I can see it being very nice when used on a different body part.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2011, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
Anyone seen these yet?

UMPIRES TO USE HIGH-TECH COOLING TECHNOLOGY THIS SEASON
SCOTTSDALE, AZ. Representatives from RiteTemp Athletic Products™ attended the Umpire Retreat last week to instruct the 68 professional umpires on the use of their new cooling products.

RTA Officially Cool products were chosen for use in all non-domed stadiums for the 2011 season after being field tested in the 2010 season by select umpires including; Ed Rapuano, Joe West, and Gary Cederstrom.
“I started using OFFICIALLY COOL under my chest protector in the 2010 season and it is amazing. I don’t feel as tired and can better concentrate on the game”, says Rapuano.

The umpires will be using two kinds of cooling products for relief from heat stress. The first is a cooling pad designed for use in the field or underneath a plate umpire’s gear during games. Its unique heat absorbing material (HTF Exotherm®) keeps the umpire’s core temperature in a safe range while improving his mental acuity. The pad lasts about 2 hours (4-5 innings) and can be easily swapped out via a side zipper in the newly redesigned uniform shirt. Spent pads are quickly recharged in a cool environment such as an air-conditioned room or a refrigerator.

The second is a “Heat Stress Recovery Kit”. Several times per year umpires end a game with a trip to the hospital, suffering from the physical effects of heat stress. The Kit, which consists of a cooling seat, cap and vest, will be used post-game in an effort to eliminate these occurrences. It helps the body regain a stable core temperature, normal heart rate, blood pressure and other vital signs in about five minutes.

For more information: www.htfx-inc.com or www.ritetempathletics.com
Very interested in this. The heat in Tx this summer has been brutal. The Dallas/Ft. Worth area is setting records.....and Houston is also going to break some long held streaks.

I was cutting wood yesterday and imagine my surprise when the temp under my car port showed 103......thank goodness for beer.

We are usually at least 5 degrees cooler than inland...but that has not seemed to be the case this summer.....I might just have to invest in a couple of the vests......

Joel
Old Mon Aug 08, 2011, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

I just received one if their endurance officially cool pads. Looking forward to trying it out at a clinic this weekend. I'll let y'all know how it works. I have tried one of their performance pads and it was like Having AC under my CP. I have a local contact that is a rep for them if you want some info. The advantage he offers is try before you buy.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2011, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txump81 View Post
Check out Ritetemp athletics. They sell their product through Gerry Davis or Honigs.
I checked it out, and am confused by this...
Quote:
Because the Officially Cool pad uses HTF Exotherm heat absorbing technology...
I thought something that was "exothermic" was something that gave off heat. Why would you want that on a hot day?!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2011, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I checked it out, and am confused by this...

I thought something that was "exothermic" was something that gave off heat. Why would you want that on a hot day?!
It says it's "heat-absorbing". Who cares what they call it?
Old Mon Aug 08, 2011, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7in60 View Post
It says it's "heat-absorbing". Who cares what they call it?
As someone who aced high school chemistry and organic chemistry... I do.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As someone who aced high school chemistry and organic chemistry... I do.
I would think this is more P-chem than organic.

And, BTW, I hate anyone who aced Organic Chemistry.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC View Post

Even if I bring donuts?

Organic chem can be a b****. Just gotta have the right teacher.

Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Even if I bring donuts?

Organic chem can be a b****. Just gotta have the right teacher.
As long as they're Krispy Kreme. Hot KK glazed can fix a lot.

I was not fond of my Organic Chemistry professor. Or that the class was at 8:00 AM. His favorite phrase was that you didn't have to memorize anything in Organic. Look, I'm all about finding and learning patterns in stuff, and his class was all about memorization.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC View Post

PChem liked to killed me. It was worse then Themodynamics.

My oldest is an Engineer and the EE courses and some of the upper level Chemistry made my head spin......

Joel
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
Very interested in this. The heat in Tx this summer has been brutal. The Dallas/Ft. Worth area is setting records.....and Houston is also going to break some long held streaks.

I was cutting wood yesterday and imagine my surprise when the temp under my car port showed 103......thank goodness for beer.

We are usually at least 5 degrees cooler than inland...but that has not seemed to be the case this summer.....I might just have to invest in a couple of the vests......

Joel

We actually hit the 112 mark. I don't think I ever recall that.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
We actually hit the 112 mark. I don't think I ever recall that.
I used to travel up to Dallas, Ft. Worth and Lewisville quite often for my job and temps. frequently reached 108 or so in the summer.....but this summer is unlike anything I have seen either.

Y'all have been over 100 for 40+ days.....Houston just hit the 14-15 day mark.....we almost never go over 100 on the coast, but have had a few days reach or surpass it. Heat index over 110 for quite a number of days.

Good luck for the rest of your summer.

Joel