The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Double first base, appealing (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/75090-double-first-base-appealing.html)

argodad Fri Jul 22, 2011 06:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 774033)
Allow me to play rulebook lawyer here.

I've always preferred to be a rulebook student rather than a rulebook lawyer.

SRW Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:46am

Allow me to apologize. He's one of mine.

:confused:

:(

Umpteenth Mon Jul 25, 2011 09:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 773585)
If I recall correctly, if there's a play at first base, and the batter-runner touches only the white portion of the base, the defense must appeal the play before the batter-runner returns to first.

What if the batter-runner chooses not to return to first? What if the ball gets away, and the runner takes off for second? How does that affect the window for appeal?

Rule 8 Batter-Runner and Runner
Section 2. Batter-Runner is Out
Section 7. Runner is Out

Section 2 would obviously apply because we have a Batter-Runner (BR).

8.2.M.3 clearly identifies the sitch in the OP, and provides the Effect. If a play is made at 1st base on the BR, regardless of what happens subsequent to that play, the BR is still required to use the contrasting color portion of the base. If the throw to 1st is wide (or high) and pulls F3 off the bag, the BR is still obligated to use the contrasting color portion of the bag (a play is made on the BR). If the ball gets away from F3, BR only contacts the white portion of the bag and then decides to continue to 2nd, the runner is still obligated to touch 1st as part of normal base-running responsibilities. Remember, having passed 1st base, the BR becomes a runner.

The appeal window is still open, until the BR returns to 1st (8.2.M.3), or until the defense properly requests a live ball appeal. Any fielder in possession of the ball must touch the base missed, or tag the runner committing the violation, if they are still on the playing field.

If play has ended and time is called (or next pitch occurs, legal or illegal), the appeal window has expired.

youngump Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 774497)
Allow me to apologize. He's one of mine.

:confused:

:(

Hey now. I'm a student of the book too, just sometimes like to see things from left field ... and I warned everybody before I started I was going off into left field. Besides I've been off the field all summer with eye surgery, so I have an excuse to overthink things.

AtlUmpSteve Mon Jul 25, 2011 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 774823)
Hey now. I'm a student of the book too, just sometimes like to see things from left field ... and I warned everybody before I started I was going off into left field. Besides I've been off the field all summer with eye surgery, so I have an excuse to overthink things.

But, dude, answered back on post #3, and reinforced on post #6 of this thread. But, continued efforts to discredit only reinforced the obvious (at least to most, it would seem).

On another note, hope the surgery was successful for you.

SRW, good to see you back from time to time.

bainsey Mon Jul 25, 2011 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpteenth (Post 774817)
The appeal window is still open, until the BR returns to 1st (8.2.M.3), or until the defense properly requests a live ball appeal. Any fielder in possession of the ball must touch the base missed, or tag the runner committing the violation, if they are still on the playing field.

Is this procedure also applicable to ASA slow pitch, or is a verbal appeal acceptable prior to the runner touching first?

youngump Mon Jul 25, 2011 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 774861)
But, dude, answered back on post #3, and reinforced on post #6 of this thread. But, continued efforts to discredit only reinforced the obvious (at least to most, it would seem).

I'm sorry about that. I thought I made it very clear that I was only talking about a shortcoming in the book in each post but especially in post 13 where I broached the topic. How to call this I agree is totally obvious. The rule that allows you to do it is all I was questioning as I thought it may have been completely missed. Now I think it was just partially missed.

Skahtboi Mon Jul 25, 2011 03:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 774823)
Besides I've been off the field all summer with eye surgery....

You too??? Must be something about being on these boards. What was yours for? I had a retinal reattachment myself this summer.

youngump Mon Jul 25, 2011 03:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 774890)
You too??? Must be something about being on these boards. What was yours for? I had a retinal reattachment myself this summer.

Mine was not nearly as bad as that. Elective in fact. I had PRK (a Laser correction for nearsightedness) and they made me stay out of my contacts for a while before doing it.

HugoTafurst Mon Jul 25, 2011 05:38pm

Quote:

dude??????:eek:

Shows you how percerptions can be wrong on the internet.....
For some reason, you were one of the last people on this board I would expect to see using that noun.:eek::eek:

AtlUmpSteve Mon Jul 25, 2011 09:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 774923)
dude??????:eek:

Shows you how percerptions can be wrong on the internet.....
For some reason, you were one of the last people on this board I would expect to see using that noun.:eek::eek:

Admittedly not a standard part of my vocabulary. So you weren't completely out of line in your thinking. I was in high school in the 60's, college in the early 70's (started umpiring in 1972, actually), and resemble the general commentary that if you remember much about those years, then you probably weren't really there.

But if you knew SRW, I bet you would think it was appropriate for him. At least I do. Mike, what say you??

argodad Mon Jul 25, 2011 09:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 774949)
Admittedly not a standard part of my vocabulary. So you weren't completely out of line in your thinking. I was in high school in the 60's, college in the early 70's (started umpiring in 1972, actually), and resemble the general commentary that if you remember much about those years, then you probably weren't really there.

But if you knew SRW, I bet you would think it was appropriate for him. At least I do. Mike, what say you??

SRW and I had a couple of beers yesterday. "Dude" was used a couple of times. It was common in my HS (in MD no less) in 1970. :cool:

SRW Mon Jul 25, 2011 09:52pm

Quote:

Thanks. I never left... just lurking, based on the advice from others.

HugoTafurst Mon Jul 25, 2011 09:55pm

Quote:

We're close in age, but you are way ahead of me as an umpire... only about 18 yrs here)

So tell me, how can we forget so much about those days, but remember every word to every song that was released from then?

SRW Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:05pm

Quote:

Dude...