The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Most umpires state emphatically that all tag calls at home plate belong to the BU, even after having a call at 3B. The FED mechanics (and I assume all) are very specific about the path the PU takes to 3B and the return path to take a runner home.

I am not sure of that. If I (BU) am at 3B for a call (say runner stole 2B and went to 3B on a throw into the outfield), and the ball gets past F5 then I am in trouble. I may have a 12' head start, but I am not going to beat that 16 year old to home plate. Thus I will be chasing the play - not a position any umpire wants to be in.

My partner and I work such that if BU goes to 3B, then BU comes to pitcher's plate. From there he is in a much better position to go to home should the ball get away at 3B.

What say you?

WMB
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Often my partner and I agree on that mechanic before the game. We'll often also agree that PU takes the tag-back at 1B. I don't see anything wrong with BU covering home with BU at 3B, especially when BU has no other responsibilities.

But even with that mechanic, I don't think I can remember a play in which BU had to make a call at home.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichiganBlue
Most umpires state emphatically that all tag calls at home plate belong to the BU, even after having a call at 3B. The FED mechanics (and I assume all) are very specific about the path the PU takes to 3B and the return path to take a runner home.

I am not sure of that. If I (BU) am at 3B for a call (say runner stole 2B and went to 3B on a throw into the outfield), and the ball gets past F5 then I am in trouble. I may have a 12' head start, but I am not going to beat that 16 year old to home plate. Thus I will be chasing the play - not a position any umpire wants to be in.

My partner and I work such that if BU goes to 3B, then BU comes to pitcher's plate. From there he is in a much better position to go to home should the ball get away at 3B.

What say you?

WMB
Your opening statement is a typo, right?

"Most umpires state emphatically that all tag calls at home plate belong to the BU, even after having a call at 3B."

By you {PU}being 12 to 15 feet ahead, you are still going to be
in position to make the call. That is why when you left for
the coverage, you get inside if indeed there is a play and
should ball get away then you are out of the way and should
have good angle and be close enough for the call.

JMO

glen

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2003, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

It's called

And I proofed that message before posting and still missed the typo.

Yes, I am 12' closer to home, but that's 12' out of 60' or 20%. That runner is going to pop up and be heading to home and will get some of that 12' back before I even start to react. After that it is a foot race and she has 46 years and 140 lb advantage on me and there is no way I win that. As I said, I don't want to get in a position of chasing a runner. I prefer to KNOW that my partner only has to take a few steps from the pitcher's plate to cover me.
WMB
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Talking

The philosophy I've always umpired by is:

"If you deviate, communicate"

Taught to me by many ASA clinicians.

Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Sun Feb 16, 2003, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Elaine,

So true, communications sloves a lot of problems. However,
I hope it was discussed prior to the game.

glen

--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Don't need to communicate; that is the way my partner and I work(As I stated in the initial message). I KNOW that when I go to 3B that he will have my backside covered.

Having a steady partner (who is both a neighbor and friend) has made umpiring much more enjoyable. Whether we are BU or PU we always know where each other is at and we are always backing each other up. There have been several incidents where one of us was out of position and we immediately point to the other and get a call. Coaches have complemented us after a game on our teamwork; never had a coach complain ("that's YOUR call, Blue!) when we transferred a call.
WMB
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Cool

West Michigan--- you're a lucky ump !!
It is great working with a partner in such
a way that you truly work as a team--
on the other hand there isn't much worse
than having a "partner" who doesn't communicate
and move to proper positions and lets you
"hang out to dry" !!
We started high school softball last week --
have a great season !
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
But even with that mechanic, I don't think I can remember a play in which BU had to make a call at home.
I've had it work one time last year. I'm doing a game with one of our local guys that I have worked several games with. I am PU, he is BU. I don't remember the exact play, but I had gone to third for a play there, the ball was overthrown and the runner headed for home. I quickly glanced at my partner, he was on his way to home. The ball was recovered and fired home, he was right there with the big overhand "out" call.

The best part was that the third base coach was watching me, and seeing that I was not running to get postion on the play at the plate, was ready to lay into me for being out of position if an "out" call was made. When my partner made the call, it completely caught the coach off guard and he just stood there unable to speak!

I don't have a problem with using this mechanic, just make sure you pregame it or communicate with your partner. One thing that I learned at the National School this year is not to rely on what you hear, but to visually confirm that your partner is doing what s/he says. If you hear "I've got third!" take a quick look to make sure.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Must agree with West Michigan Blue. For all High School games and most ASA, D2 and D3 college games, my wife and I work together and rarely ever have a problem. Despite us being married we have a lot of fun . However, we communicate constantly even on the most routine stuff.

When we are assigned D1 games, we are expected to communicate on the field....Even on the most basic simple play. It looks good, gives the coaches the impression that we are on the ball, and provides confidence for each of us.

My point I guess is this, you should communicate with your partners even if you work with them regularly. Soon it will become habit and will save you that 1 time you are with a stranger and all hell breaks loose.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

kellerumps,

*Yeppers* as a friend of mine says. Could not agree more. ,

About the only time we work with the same partner here in East Texas,
is during tournaments when working two on, one off. Usually
work three games a week regularly scheduled games and might
see the same guy twice in that time period. Not very often.

glen

--Mark Twain.