The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Mike sort of mention in the other topic that is getting way to long about new mechanics in SP ball. What I believe I heard the other day is that the BU basically will always be in the B slot. If this is the case I really dont understand the reasoning for changing. I am sorta an old fart and have problems changing my ways unless I get a good rationing why to change.

Is this correct and are there other changes that I need to know??

Thanks

Don

Also just for fun: R1 on 2nd and R2 on 1st one out, B3 hit a pop-up to F6 the PU calls infield fly and R1 interfers with F6 trying to catch the ball. How many outs you got now? You would not ignore the infield fly rule or the interfernce rule would you? So why on the CO and the interfernce rule on that other play... JUST SOME THOUGHTS
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
[

Thanks

Don

Also just for fun: R1 on 2nd and R2 on 1st one out, B3 hit a pop-up to F6 the PU calls infield fly and R1 interfers with F6 trying to catch the ball. How many outs you got now? You would not ignore the infield fly rule or the interfernce rule would you? So why on the CO and the interfernce rule on that other play... JUST SOME THOUGHTS [/B]
Not addressed to me, but,
Your are comparing apples and oranges. In your play there is not a double infraction. Just an out on the IFF, and then a single infraction on the live batted ball.

Roger Greene

[Edited by Roger Greene on Feb 12th, 2003 at 07:24 PM]
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Cool oranges it will be then

Same situation except B3 gets a hit to left field rounding 1st F3 standing in B3 base path knocks B3 down OBS ruled then as R2 is rounding 3rd and the ball on its way home the 3rd base coach grabs R2 and push him back to 3rd base. Got me an out on the INT by the coach and will award B3 2nd base on F3 OBS if it kept them from attaining. So you can have multiple infractions on a play. I believe you just work backwards on inforcing the infractions

JMO

Don

Sorry got off topic. What about the new mechanics??
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

In ASA, the difference here is that the physical assist by the coach is not technically interference. The runner is out, but, just as if a runner passed another runner, the ball is still in play. So, as you said, you call the runner out and let the play proceed. After the play, you make whatever obstruction awards are in order.

The CO vs later INT play is difficult because two rules are apparently in conflict. One rule says the runner is out for interference, the other says the coach has his choice to take the play or the CO.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mike sort of mention in the other topic that is getting way to long about new mechanics in SP ball. What I believe I heard the other day is that the BU basically will always be in the B slot. If this is the case I really dont understand the reasoning for changing. I am sorta an old fart and have problems changing my ways unless I get a good rationing why to change.

Is this correct and are there other changes that I need to know??

Thanks

Don

Also just for fun: R1 on 2nd and R2 on 1st one out, B3 hit a pop-up to F6 the PU calls infield fly and R1 interfers with F6 trying to catch the ball. How many outs you got now? You would not ignore the infield fly rule or the interfernce rule would you? So why on the CO and the interfernce rule on that other play... JUST SOME THOUGHTS
Ruling:

B3 out on infield fly. Ball remains live, R1 out for interference. Inning over.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Re: oranges it will be then

Quote:

Sorry got off topic. What about the new mechanics??
BU with no one on base is now to play "off" the 2nd baseman. This was sort of dropped in our laps at the clinic and there was a bit of a rift that took about 20-30 minutes to straighten out. And, in my opinion, the entire staff was not behind this change.

They preach the right shoulder, but I prefer and will probably work off the left shoulder. This will eliminate any possibility of F4 getting in my way on a routine infield play (or at least it should).

It was also mentioned that this also gives the base umpire a better view of a ball to the outfield. I know, your all saying, "great! Just as well be a one-umpire game if this guy is going out all the time." Well, that isn't suppose to happen, but try to teach that to some of the folks out there.