Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Thinking too much.........

Speaking ASA Slow Pitch

Bottom of the 7th with the home team down by 1 run. One out and R1 on second. B3 hits a high, deep fly ball to right field which is caught by F9. R1 leaves early and almost everyone knows it except R1 who is in the dugout celebrating his speed which tied the game. The ball comes in to the pitcher and "Time" is declared.

F7 comes roaring in to the BU and is the first one to appeal R1 leaving too soon. Since it wasn't an infielder who made the dead ball appeal, BU signals "Safe". Some calm returns shortly.

BU is asked how he could rule "Safe"? Does he:

1. Say "improper appeal" and walk away?

2. Say "improper appeal" and state that a dead ball appeal must come from an infielder?

3. After giving the proper appeal procedure, allow an appeal from an infielder?

4. Disallow any further appeals since his explanation would now give the defense an advantage?

For more excitement, let's have the score tied and R1 is the game winner!

Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

I'd say that I would avoid the entire situation by ignoring the appeal from F7. I would not signal "safe".

I would be listening for one of the infielders to say something regarding the appeal and it wouldn't take much for me to recognize it.

In your specific stated situation, I would chose option #1.
I would not instruct the defense that the appeal must come from an infielder.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Smile

The only thing that you can do in your situation is #1. If the players and coach don't know, too bad, they should. You
are not there to conduct a rules clinic.
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Since F7 comes "roaring" in to the BU, I am going to assume that both F7 and Bu are now in the infield. That makes F7 an infielder, accept the appeal. If F7 is not yet in the infield, wait a minute, either F7 will get close enough to be in the infield and repeat his appeal or another defensive player - who is in the infield - will pick up on the appeal. I can remember Savoie & Pollard going over this numerous times in various clinics. BU was wrong to signal safe as that is saying the runner did not leave early.

Steve M
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Or, if F7 stays in the outfield, you could turn to your nearest infielder and ask, "What is he screaming about?"

With the answer, you have the appeal.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Good Steve, I forgot about Savoie going over that. My brain has not worked much in the umpire world recently, but once a blue, always a blue, I say.
You're too funny, Dakota!
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Steve,

I'm going to go with you. I will wait until F7 gets to the infield, which he sure will, or wait until an infielder
says something about the appeal.

I will get the out.

Bob
NIF
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Since F7 comes "roaring" in to the BU, I am going to assume that both F7 and Bu are now in the infield. That makes F7 an infielder, accept the appeal. If F7 is not yet in the infield, wait a minute, either F7 will get close enough to be in the infield and repeat his appeal or another defensive player - who is in the infield - will pick up on the appeal. I can remember Savoie & Pollard going over this numerous times in various clinics. BU was wrong to signal safe as that is saying the runner did not leave early.

Steve M
Not any more. ASA defined an infielder last year and outfielder this year. Even though that was done to make it easier for a co-ed game, ASA still made the area position-specific. An appeal must be made by an "infielder", not a player in the infield.

And, yes they covered it in the clinics by saying that the BU should just keep saying "what?" until the outfielder reached the infield, but that was before they defined the position.

That said, I'm not looking for trouble. I will allow B7 to approach peacefully. If s/he is "charging" me in a less-than-mild manner, s/he may not be in the game by the time they get to the infield

Once there, I will probably have an infielder standing with us as we discuss the situation at hand. I will listen to what s/he has to say and then turn to the infielder and ask "Is that right?" Like Andy, it isn't going to take much for me to accept any word or action as an affirmative response. This way I have received the appeal from the proper individual without upsetting B7 or his/her teammates. This would also eliminate a protest.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
I don't know what the world's coming to, but I agree with Lady Blue...

Those of you doing your darndest to get the out seem like what I like to call "outpires". Anything to get the game over with and get home, even if it means bending the rules...

If the offense has to play by the rules by tagging up properly, the defense has to play by the rules by appealing properly.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Thank you, AB! I haven't read the 2003 rule book so Mike may be correct.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA

Once there, I will probably have an infielder standing with us as we discuss the situation at hand. I will listen to what s/he has to say and then turn to the infielder and ask "Is that right?" Like Andy, it isn't going to take much for me to accept any word or action as an affirmative response. This way I have received the appeal from the proper individual without upsetting B7 or his/her teammates. This would also eliminate a protest.
[/B]
I'm curious how not allowing an improper appeal could generate a protest that would be upheld.

Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Baker
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA

I'm curious how not allowing an improper appeal could generate a protest that would be upheld.

[/B]
Bill,

I was referring to accepting an appeal from a player not permitted (outfielder).

Protest Committee: The manager of team B said you accepted an improper appeal. What player made the appeal?

Umpire: Team A's left fielder.

PC: Are not appeals only to be offered by infielders, including the pitcher and catcher?

Umpire: Yes

PC: Then you inappropriately ruled on an appeal made by none of these folks.

I'm not saying that is how it would go down, but the best way to make sure a problem does not occur is to remove a possible cause from the equation.

I wouldn't doubt a possible wording change of making it any offensive playing standing in the infield area, but you just never know.