Thread: Correct Appeal
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 12, 2003, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Baker
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA

Once there, I will probably have an infielder standing with us as we discuss the situation at hand. I will listen to what s/he has to say and then turn to the infielder and ask "Is that right?" Like Andy, it isn't going to take much for me to accept any word or action as an affirmative response. This way I have received the appeal from the proper individual without upsetting B7 or his/her teammates. This would also eliminate a protest.
I'm curious how not allowing an improper appeal could generate a protest that would be upheld.

[/B]
Bill,

I was referring to accepting an appeal from a player not permitted (outfielder).

Protest Committee: The manager of team B said you accepted an improper appeal. What player made the appeal?

Umpire: Team A's left fielder.

PC: Are not appeals only to be offered by infielders, including the pitcher and catcher?

Umpire: Yes

PC: Then you inappropriately ruled on an appeal made by none of these folks.

I'm not saying that is how it would go down, but the best way to make sure a problem does not occur is to remove a possible cause from the equation.

I wouldn't doubt a possible wording change of making it any offensive playing standing in the infield area, but you just never know.