The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

I don't get it

A couple of weeks ago I was watching the WCWS.
Tonight, its the CWS.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2011, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Tonight, its the CWS.
Hmmmmm....a couple of weeks ago I was watching the NCAA Women's Div I Softball Championships. Tonight, I'm not watching the NCAA Men's Div I Baseball Championships.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2011, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Hmmmmm....a couple of weeks ago I was watching the NCAA Women's Div I Softball Championships. Tonight, I'm not watching the NCAA Men's Div I Baseball Championships.
That's good.
I must be paying attention to the wrong articles.

"08:00 PM BASEBALL NCAA Baseball NCAA College World Series (CWS Finals Game 3 (If NEC)) "

Watch Live Streaming Baseball Online - ESPN3

"South Carolina sweeps past Florida for CWS title"

NCAA.com ? The Official Website of NCAA Championships

"Arizona State had timely hits, stellar defense and clutch pitching to win a second national title in four years with a 7-2 victory against Florida in Game 2 of the WCWS championship series"

"2011 WCWS: Scoreboard"

"After experiencing his first taste of the Women's College World Series up close and personal, Jerry Trickie shares five takeaways that stuck out during his time in Oklahoma City."

(all from)
Softball Division I - NCAA.com

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 07:13am.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2011, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tonight, its the CWS.
Did anyone else notice the HP umpire in two of the Florida games was verbalizing pitch location on balls out of the strike zone. Maybe it was just because he was miked, but I heard for example (ball....out, in, low, high).

He may have just been saying it loud enough for the catcher and batter to hear it, but I thought that was frowned upon?

Other than that oddity, I thought that the umpires did a great job.

Joel
Old Wed Jun 29, 2011, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post
Did anyone else notice the HP umpire in two of the Florida games was verbalizing pitch location on balls out of the strike zone. Maybe it was just because he was miked, but I heard for example (ball....out, in, low, high).

He may have just been saying it loud enough for the catcher and batter to hear it, but I thought that was frowned upon?

Other than that oddity, I thought that the umpires did a great job.

Joel
I noticed that too, and thought it odd.

Florida made both championship series and lost both of them in two games. I was pulling for the softball team, but very, very happy 'bout my Gamecocks winning baseball.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2011, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's good.
I must be paying attention to the wrong articles.

"08:00 PM BASEBALL NCAA Baseball NCAA College World Series (CWS Finals Game 3 (If NEC)) "

Watch Live Streaming Baseball Online - ESPN3

"South Carolina sweeps past Florida for CWS title"

NCAA.com ? The Official Website of NCAA Championships

"Arizona State had timely hits, stellar defense and clutch pitching to win a second national title in four years with a 7-2 victory against Florida in Game 2 of the WCWS championship series"

"2011 WCWS: Scoreboard"

"After experiencing his first taste of the Women's College World Series up close and personal, Jerry Trickie shares five takeaways that stuck out during his time in Oklahoma City."

(all from)
Softball Division I - NCAA.com

You can dress up Bill Russell as a leprechaun and call him a leprechaun, but that doesn't make him a leprechaun.

The NCAA softball and baseball championships are actually less of a World Series than that of MLB, but none of them are even close to a world series. The closest thing in this country to a World Series (yes, Tom, if you are reading this, I know it isn't a "series") is that of Little League baseball and even that is biased.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2011, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

It's just your little hobby horse, Mike. The fact is, the term "world series" has been a generic term for "baseball championship" for over 100 years. It never did literally mean "all the world" (as in world cup), although in the beginning it could be argued that all of the professional baseball teams in the world were eligible to advance to the World Series. Should the existence of the Japanese professional league after some 50 years of MLB necessitate that MLB change the name of their championship series out of political correctness? I don't think so, and, obviously, I don't get agitated over the use of the word "world".

It has been similarly adopted as a generic term by various softball groups, including the NCAA and USSSA.

For many years, the NCAA baseball championship was not even a series (it was a double elimination tournament). Now, at least, it is a 3 game series, although all the teams that make it to Omaha claim they were playing in the CWS.

Last edited by Dakota; Wed Jun 29, 2011 at 09:59pm.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2011, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
It's just your little hobby horse, Mike. The fact is, the term "world series" has been a generic term for "baseball championship" for over 100 years. It never did literally mean "all the world" (as in world cup), although in the beginning it could be argued that all of the professional baseball teams in the world were eligible to advance to the World Series.
And here I think it is standard American arrogance. JMO. You know, that attitude that endears us to the rest of the world.

Quote:
Should the existence of the Japanese professional league after some 50 years of MLB necessitate that MLB change the name of their championship series out of political correctness? I don't think so, and, obviously, I don't get agitated over the use of the word "world".

It has been similarly adopted as a generic term by various softball groups, including the NCAA and USSSA.
Yet, but rule, NCAA Div I forbids membership by non-US colleges, so in reality, they cannot even claim a North American Series.

And let's not forget that at one time, ASA also used the term. Just because enough people buy into it, doesn't necessarily make it so.

Then again, try telling an LSU, OU or Texas fan that they have never won the NCAA Div I Football Championship.