The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Batted Ball Hits Batter Running to First (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/69899-batted-ball-hits-batter-running-first.html)

tankmjg24 Sun May 15, 2011 10:46pm

Batted Ball Hits Batter Running to First

In my game the other evening the batter bunted the ball and began to run to first. She was right on the line and the ball had a lot of spin and it spun towards her and hit her in the left cleat which was in fair territory. Now in all my years officiating this is the fist time this has occurred and it got me thinking. I just want to confirm my thoughts. By the batter being in fair territory and getting struck by the ball she is out. If the batter is in foul territory and is struck it is a foul ball. If the batter is in foul territory and intentionally interferes with the ball that has the possibility of becoming fair she is out. Correct me if I am wrong with my thoughts. I do recall reading over these situations in a rule book but I seem to not be able to find it. The game was a little league majors game but I do believe rule set does not matter as the situations would be ruled on the same.

tcannizzo Mon May 16, 2011 06:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tankmjg24 (Post 758730)
IIf the batter is in foul territory and is struck it is a foul ball. If the batter is in foul territory and intentionally interferes with the ball that has the possibility of becoming fair she is out. Correct me if I am wrong with my thoughts.

Both of these situations are the same. Foul Ball.

NCASAUmp Mon May 16, 2011 06:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tankmjg24 (Post 758730)
In my game the other evening the batter bunted the ball and began to run to first. She was right on the line and the ball had a lot of spin and it spun towards her and hit her in the left cleat which was in fair territory. Now in all my years officiating this is the fist time this has occurred and it got me thinking. I just want to confirm my thoughts. By the batter being in fair territory and getting struck by the ball she is out. If the batter is in foul territory and is struck it is a foul ball. If the batter is in foul territory and intentionally interferes with the ball that has the possibility of becoming fair she is out. Correct me if I am wrong with my thoughts. I do recall reading over these situations in a rule book but I seem to not be able to find it. The game was a little league majors game but I do believe rule set does not matter as the situations would be ruled on the same.

You were okay up until this point, but I disagree that the ruleset doesn't matter. ASA would disagree with you on the part I bolded. Other associations (I believe USSSA slow pitch, for example) may not.

greymule Mon May 16, 2011 09:45am

Right, NCASA. In ASA, a BR or runner can intentionally touch and thus render foul a ball that is in foul territory, even if it has a chance to become fair. I don't know about USSSA, but in NCAA such an action is illegal.