The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 13, 2011, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

What happens when you don't call the IP

Here's an edited version of a championship game.
Apparently in the semi-final game NO illegal pitches were called.

Quote:
HOME High softball players, coaches and fans likely will be seeing the umpire's sign for an illegal pitch in their nightmares.
Home pitcher XXX XXX — was called for more than a dozen illegal pitches, resulting in prolonged at-bats, advanced bases, extra outs -- and ultimately runs -- in Thursday's XXX — championship game at the XXX — in XXX
. The Home were taken out of rhythm and never able to recover in a 10-3 defeat.
HOME coach XXX — said he didn't want to get into whether the pitches were illegal. But he admitted the timing of the calls made it more difficult to swallow.
"If so, it should have been something done before the final. Give us a second to try to work it out," XXX — said.
"The only problem I have is it took such a great effort to get here . . . We've been through a lot before, but it does affect the pitching, the defense, you play it differently. But you've got to give them credit -- they put the ball in play."
XXX —, an (impressive description of talking head), thought the calls against XXX — were "nitpicky." In most cases, XXX — was called for a hop -- or lifting her pivot foot -- while delivering a pitch.
"The disheartening thing is it hasn't been called in the tournament, so it's hard for the players to adjust," said XXX — who was doing color commentary for the live broadcast on XXX — Networks.
"I wouldn't call it because it didn't seem to be blatant," XXX — added. "But, I'm not an umpire."
Despite the calls, XXX — battled and pitched a complete game, something that impressed XXX — .
The first inning went off without a run by either team -- or an illegal pitch call. Things changed in the top of the second, when XXX — was called for six illegal pitches. Visitor was awarded extra at-bats and outs, and when the inning finally wrapped up, the Visitor scored three runs on three hits. The big hit was a two-run triple by XXX XXX — , who was later awarded home plate on one of the called illegal pitches for the third run of the inning.
The Home (23-8) loaded the bases in the bottom of the second on singles by XXX — and XXX — and a walk to XXX — . But the inning ended when a runner on second was called for a circle violation -- meaning a player stepped off the base without timeout being called while the pitcher is in the circle with the ball.
XXX
In the bottom of the third, XXX — doubled and scored on XXX — towering double to left field that somehow stayed in the park and rattled off the fence. At that point, the Home trailed 4-1.
But the Visitor (31-2) batted around in the top of the fourth, plating five runs on just two hits. There were three walks and four more illegal pitches called against XXX — . Visitor added another run in the sixth, but HOME still battled. The Home scored one run in the sixth and another in the seventh, and held their heads high at the end of the game.
"We just stay together as a team. We did come this far," said left fielder XXX — , who singled twice. "We were mad at first, but life's unfair sometimes. You just gotta take it as it is."
For what it's worth, during the season, this pitcher had been called often for illegal pitches, but it seemed to me that once called, she would make the adjustment.
It also seemed to me that the coach's attitude may have been one of, "some call it, some don't". If they call it we'll worry about it then.

I didn't get to see the game, but makes me wish more of us had called it during the year.....

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Fri May 13, 2011 at 03:26pm.
Old Fri May 13, 2011, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Here's an edited version of a championship game.
Apparently in the semi-final game NO illegal pitches were called.

For what it's worth, during the season, this pitcher had been called often for illegal pitches, but it seemed to me that once called, she would make the adjustment.
It also seemed to me that the coach's attitude may have been one of, "some call it, some don't". If they call it we'll worry about it then.

I didn't get to see the game, but makes me wish more of us had called it during the year.....
I didn't know the penalty for IP was to award extra outs. I've been doing it wrong all this time.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 13, 2011, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I didn't know the penalty for IP was to award extra outs. I've been doing it wrong all this time.
If you had only known, you'd be drinking beer that nuch sooner..
Old Fri May 13, 2011, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you had only known, you'd be drinking beer that nuch sooner..
Nuch? You start ahead of me?

I will definitely be calling more IP's in the future. I like outs!

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 13, 2011, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Nuch? You start ahead of me?

I will definitely be calling more IP's in the future. I like outs!
Schwat??
Old Sat May 14, 2011, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

So was this from a newspaper report? Why the "XXX" edits?
Old Sat May 14, 2011, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob View Post
So was this from a newspaper report? Why the "XXX" edits?
Yes from a news report.
XXX because I didnt feel a need t post names.

I guess for some reason, RichMSN felt a need to post specifics.
Not sure what it adds to the discussion.

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Sun May 15, 2011 at 07:21am. Reason: Edited to add reference to RichMSN's response
Old Sat May 14, 2011, 06:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Google is your friend:

Satellite's run ends short of state title | FLORIDA TODAY | floridatoday.com
Old Mon May 16, 2011, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes from a news report.
XXX because I didnt feel a need t post names.

I guess for some reason, RichMSN felt a need to post specifics.
Not sure what it adds to the discussion.
Look at who the talking heads were, though. Not someone I would be doing a lot of quoting of when it comes to rules or their application.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon May 16, 2011, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Look at who the talking heads were, though. Not someone I would be doing a lot of quoting of when it comes to rules or their application.
One of the reasons I left out names... I didn't want to digress......
In the small pond where I swim, my concern is what we can do to educate association umpires so that they are:

1) knowlegable as to what IS an legal pitch
2) with that knowledge be confident so that we the SEE it, we CALL it
3) Call it consistanty
I am not a beliver in warnings...
I am a believer in calling it the first time I see it and KNOW that it is illegal - that's enough of a warning to me.

Notice the coach didn't repond to the question about wheteher the pitches were legal or not!
Old Mon May 16, 2011, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Notice the coach didn't repond to the question about wheteher the pitches were legal or not!

Of course not. I am sure that he has known about it all season.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.