The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

As a follow up to the topic of verbal interference, what about verbal obstruction? This is quite coincidental but this topic was brought up and discussed at length last night at our association meeting. I happen to be the one that brought it up. Several in attendance did not agree with my opinion and others just "scratched their heads" with "I don't know what'd I do" answers. Here's an example....R1 on 1st base and stealing on the pitch. The pitch to the batter is "foul tipped" and while the runner is advancing, the defensive player or coach from the dugout is shouting "foul ball." At this time the runner stops and starts to retreat and subsequently tagged by the defensive player. I know that it's the player's responsibility to be alert as to what's happening in the game (which was the most popular answer in last night's meeting) but at the same time I feel this is a classic example of verbal obstruction. If I'm wrong, then someone please give me an example of a situation involving verbal obstruction? I've just completed my 3rd year of high school ball and will be doing college ball this year and I still consider myself a rookie, so I spend a great deal of time reading the rules & case book to be comfortable with my game, so all replies will be appreciated.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Apparently the defensive players did not pay attention to their coach for they made a play on the runner. So why should the offensive player be protected because she listened? OTOH, the FED book does define Obstruction as either physical or verbal.

Maybe a better case could be made for unsportsmanlike conduct.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

If a runner is stupid enough to listen to a voice from the opposing bench, tough cookies. Players should be taught to respond to the umpire(s) and/or their OWN coaches.

Bob
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Okay, I agree with pretty much everything said but will someone please give me an example of a "verbal obstruction" situation?
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Don't know exactly how this would be defined, but it's verbal something:

A play that occurred 33 years ago in a local LL game is still talked about around here. Runner on 3B, pitcher had the ball, waiting for the next batter to get ready. Adult 3B coach got the pitcher's attention, and held up his hand as if he was preparing to catch the ball. Then he said, calmly but very seriously, "Son, let me see that ball." The kid, deferring to the adult, flipped the ball to the coach, who then scampered out of the way and screamed for his runner to take off.

Not much else to say. The act speaks for itself.

[Edited by greymule on Jan 10th, 2003 at 04:46 PM]
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
From the FED 2002 casebook 8.4.3-J

R1 attempts to steal 2nd base. F2 throws a popup to F6 and F5 starts yelling "get back, get back". R1 thinking that B2 has hit a popup starts back for 1st base where she is tagged out. Ruling This is verbal obstruction. The umpire should call "obstruction" and give the delayed dead ball signal. When R1 is tagged out, the umpire should call time and award the runner the base(s) she would have reached if there had been no obstruction. (most likely 2nd if I'm the ump).

If this seems a little far-fetched, that's because verbal obstruction is a rare beast.

Hope this helps.
SamC
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Quote:
Posted by greymule

A play that occurred 33 years ago in a local LL game is still talked about around here. Runner on 3B, pitcher had the ball, waiting for the next batter to get ready. Adult 3B coach got the pitcher's attention, and held up his hand as if he was preparing to catch the ball. Then he said, calmly but very seriously, "Son, let me see that ball." The kid, deferring to the adult, flipped the ball to the coach, who then scampered out of the way and screamed for his runner to take off.
Greymule,

On that play, I would have R3 out due to verbal interference by the coach, and the coach GONE due to USC.

SamC
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Buck912
Okay, I agree with pretty much everything said but will someone please give me an example of a "verbal obstruction" situation?
B1 hits a high fly ball down the LF line and takes off. As he rounds 1B, the catcher scream "foul ball" while the umpire is pointing fair. B1 checks up and heads back to the plate as 1B coach is screaming for him to go to 2B.

As an umpire, I'm protecting that runner at least between 1B & 2B. Depending on the situation, I may keep him at 1B or award him 2B. There are probably a few umpires that would move him to 3B as an FYC for the catcher's stupidity. I cannot do that, my brain will not let me.

Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Verbal Interference.

The one I encountered. Runner on 3rd, two outs, batter hits
ball to F1's right, she fields the ball. As F1 is turning to throw
to F3, for what would have been the final out of the inning, the
coach at 3rd [female] hollars the pitchers name. She turned to see
what was happening, realized she had no play, now hurried her throw to
F3 pulling her off bag. BR reaches 1B safetly, runner on 3rd scored.
At least that is what the coach thought, until I called verbal
interference on her. Without her yelling at the F1, F1 would have
easily gotten the out in MHO, and at that point, that is all that
counted.
Her first remark was, "She made a bad thrown!" Yea, Why?

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Sam quoted the correct interp for Fed. Don't think I've seen anything in Pony or USSSA that would trump it.

Sometime you just gotta make a call like that to return the game to the skills intended by the book.

Thats my opinion.

Roger Greene