The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 18, 2011, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Super Ump

I had the misfortune of working with someone that I can best describe as Super Ump today.

1. He told me that he will not show up to the game any more than 20
minutes early and he will get dressed and then come out to the field. He does not get paid enough to be there 30 minutes early. This leaves his partner checking the entire field and equipment alone.

2. Super Ump does not reply when given the infield fly signal. He stated that if his partner shows it the partner does not need a reply.

3. Super Ump refuses to back up the BU when they are in the C slot and there is a snap throw back to 1B. He stated that this is the BU job and they make those calls.

4. Super ump does not introduce himself or his partner at the plate meeting with the managers.

5. Super Ump tells you not to go out on any fly balls at all. Those ALL belong to him.

6. Super Ump then tells me at our 15 second pre game that he plays it strictly by the book. Um OK?

7. The reason that I cal him Super Ump is that his claim to fame, and he really lets you know it, is that he has umpired for 11 years. I wonder how many people he has worked with in those years?

As you can probably tell I did not enjoy my experience with Super Ump and hope that I never have to do so again.
Old Fri Mar 18, 2011, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
7. The reason that I cal him Super Ump is that his claim to fame, and he really lets you know it, is that he has umpired for 11 years. I wonder how many people he has worked with in those years?
11 years? Really? Is that all? ****in' rookie!
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
11 years? Really? Is that all? ****in' rookie!
Sounds like he had one year of experience..........11 times.

Joel
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had the misfortune of working with someone that I can best describe as Super Ump today.

minutes early and he will get dressed and then come out to the field. He does not get paid enough to be there 30 minutes early. This leaves his partner checking the entire field and equipment alone.
His estimation of his worth is too high, his integrity too low, and his respect for others is nil. If you accept the job you accept the responsibilities and terms that come with it.

Quote:
2. Super Ump does not reply when given the infield fly signal. He stated that if his partner shows it the partner does not need a reply.
He wants a mind reader for a partner. I'd tell him I don't read trash.

Quote:
4. Super ump does not introduce himself or his partner at the plate meeting with the managers.
Hey of you aren't as famous as he is, introduce yourself!

Quote:
What difference does experience make to someone who knows it all?

Quote:
As you can probably tell I did not enjoy my experience with Super Ump and hope that I never have to do so again.
The positive way to look at this is that every experience is a learning experience. You learned (or had what you already knew reinforced) what not to do and how not to work with your partner as a team. It takes the joy out of a wonderful job to have to work with someone like this.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Yhanks for the responses. I agree that I was a tremendous learning experience on what NOT to do. It really did take something away from the game for me. I still gave 100% and tried my best to do what was right for the game and the girls playing it. The only thing is it takes away from the flow you have working with a partner that you know will have you back when the need arise.

Overall the game went very well but I rhinj if we would have been on the same page it would have been even better. It sure will help me the next time I am the PU on making sure that I communicate well with my partner. I am going to put it down as a learning experience on making me a stronger umpire for the game that I trulely enjoy.

The best seat in the house is just behind the catcher.
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The best seat in the house is just behind the catcher.
This is not always true you know; took one today on my right elbow. shame on F2, she didn't protect me the way we're used to... And it still hurts a lot!

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Sat Mar 19, 2011, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

At least you could be the gentleman and chalk it up as a learning experience. I would not accept another assignement with that ump.
Old Mon Mar 21, 2011, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That, right there, should have been enough to tell you about the kind of guy you were working with. This guy is guy obviously a "green," only in it for the money, so you know that he never studies or prepares for a game. Bet his shoes weren't even clean.

I like to tell these guys something along the lines of, "oh, yeah? Well, I will be sure to let the scheduler know that you don't believe in doing all of the duties you are paid for, because you don't feel like it is enough."

Quote:
And lazy to boot. Big shocker!!!!

Quote:
3. Super Ump refuses to back up the BU when they are in the C slot and there is a snap throw back to 1B. He stated that this is the BU job and they make those calls.
See previous comment.

Quote:
Again...another big shocker. He doesn't do anything else correctly, why should he act any differently here?

Quote:
5. Super Ump tells you not to go out on any fly balls at all. Those ALL belong to him.
Actually, a reasonable request if that is the way he wants it. However, I highly doubt that he will ever hustle to be in place to get a good look at the close plays.

Quote:
6. Super Ump then tells me at our 15 second pre game that he plays it strictly by the book. Um OK?
Look at him quizzicallly, and say, "Umm...what are you talking about?" Maybe then he would have to elaborate.

Quote:
You should have replied, "Wow! That long? Maybe it is time for you to hang them up!"

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.